Show Us Your High Class Tosogu

Alex A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok...that Motozane....wow!

That is very intriguing. What is going on there? And the work is amazing.

Agreeing with Brian.

As if there wasn't already a lot going on with that tsuba- the shakudo and silver butterflies jointing the two "Panels" is a bit of nice humor.

• Like 1

Agreeing with Brian.

As if there wasn't already a lot going on with that tsuba- the shakudo and silver butterflies jointing the two "Panels" is a bit of nice humor.

Intriguing isn't it? He has deliberately offset some of the features just slightly, and patinated it, to look like a join. Very, very unusual and quite striking.

Intriguing isn't it? He has deliberately offset some of the features just slightly, and patinated it, to look like a join. Very, very unusual and quite striking.

Yes. Just when I think I'm all about collecting Muromachi or earlier pieces (sometimes a Momoyama one, or a Kunitomo/Hazama)-

A gent comes along and shows me a late Edo piece that makes me go "Wow!".

I'm also a big fan of Tsuchiya Yasuchika, and he is right that the tsuba does look like his style.

But he usually signed his pieces, even though sometimes in atypical places.

Hi

Curran I hope it all works out for you in 2017

I have deliberated about adding this modern tsuba by Kevin Adams but it really stands out in my cabinet - I have a few higher class tosogu but this is still a favourite

I have a few of Kevins tsuba and one of Marcus but I believe this is one of his very best

He described is as such:

A study of an Akasaka tsuba in Sasano's "Early Japanese Sword Guards". described as "four seasons", but perhaps is closer to the "Four Gentlemen" theme.

The challenge with the original is that the plants are plum blossom/bamboo/maple/Iris, while the traditional Four Gentlemen theme is plum blossom/bamboo/chrysanthemum/Iris.

I pushed the design a bit further than on the original as Akasaka work typically includes a bit of kebori carving to establish shapes and such, but deep sculptural carving isn't usually seen.

The tsuba was shown in two separate shows. The first was my solo show "Stories in Steel", which was hung at a local gallery in Toronto. The second was a multi-disciplinary exhibit ("Solace") at another Toronto gallery.

post-2100-0-61943900-1484232677_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-84325900-1484232686_thumb.jpg

Grev

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..