Habaki material

Strider

Does anyone know if electrum (a gold and silver alloy) was ever used for habaki or other fittings. I have done quite a bit of silver work, and was going to try my hand at at custom habaki. I have a small amount of this mixed material that I have no other use for and I would like to use it if it would still be authentic. Regards Scott Pictures appreciated

Electrum was not a purpose made alloy. It was thought to be an element at that time it was named. That is why people no longer call gold and silver alloys Electrum.

The Japanese did use Gold and Silver alloys. The Equivalent of Electrum I guess would be Aoigin. You can find examples of this in many gold decorated sword fittings. Often used as overlay on carvings and inlays. You will see it along side pure gold overlays. Aoigin appears lighter and more straw colored. It added some subtle shades of color that gently broke up what would be an overuse of one gold color. I have not seen an Aoigin Habaki yet in person. The alloy is often difficult to identify in book pictures do to variations in lighting or Black and white photos. Picture Captions will generally not define Aoigin as anything but "gold".

What is the percentage of silver in your material?

Regards,

Patrick Hastings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..