all tangled up

Bungo

The top piece appears to be a depiction of the catfish of the earth or earthquake fish. A giant dark catfish that lives in the bottom of water on land and deep under the land. The Fish is thought to be the cause of earthquakes and it is a symbol of futility depicted by showing a man trying to capture the fish with a rope and gourd. The scene underneath the fish does remind me of something sexual, but looking closer I see elements of the same theme. There is a spool of rope and the man is lying on his back with the fish laying across him the fish head facing lower left and the tail lower right. The two human feet belong to the man and he is struggling to capture the catfish.

Regards,

Patrick Hastings

if this underlying image symbolises the Catfish victory, or a previous encounter, with a victim under water ?. it has that sort of look to it.

I agree, the nature of the mans limbs may make us think it is shunga, but I would imagine it having a closer tie to the main theme.

Rich

Looks like Shunga (erotic art). The quality of work (not too great) is on par with much of the Shunga I've seen. Grey

Ummmmm, jury trial ot bench trial ?

I hope it's a jury trial knowing you are a family man.........hahahahhaa.

milt the flying ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..