Current Exhibitions in Japan

1. The Ichimonji exhibition, soon to open at the Sano Museum. Nov 10-Dec 17

2. The Omamori-gatana exhibition in Fukuoka city museum, Kyushu. A selection of Sacred tanto and koshirae produced by the All Japan Swordsmiths Association. An exhibition of tanto made for spiritual protection, presented to brides, new-born babies and for funeral passages etc. The exhibition will include a display of Tom Kishida's (Yasukuni-to, Modern Japanese Swordsmiths, Craft of the Japanese Sword) photographic works. Oct 24-Nov 4

3. The Bizen, Osafune Japanese Sword Museum is having a special exhibition of Tom Kishida's portraits of swordsmiths entitled 'Tosho Portraits-Passing down traditional skills'.

Nov 1 2007-Jan 14 2008

post-277-14196742024001_thumb.jpg

post-277-14196742025722_thumb.jpg

post-277-14196742027069_thumb.jpg

I work as a 2d graphist, making posters (among other things) for a living and i find this very interesting to see how they build their posters, i noticed they do not divide them in third like we do over here and they have very tiny margins! :oops: nice stuff! thanks for uploading those!

Sorry guys (and especially Paul in this case)

I have had to ask a few others to remove image signatures as they can get out of control, too obtrusive or hide malicious scripts.

They also draw the focus away from the main info and often just look untidy.

Afraid I have to ask if we can use text only in signatures please. Links are fine, but if I start to ok images, then I have to come up with a policy of how large, what content, what color etc etc.

Easier for now to just ask us to all keep it to simple text please. Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Brian

Paul it was great to see you in Tokyo.

Regarding the Tokugawa exhibition it is very crowded with possible long lines. The exhibition is definitely worth a visit ! I went there one hour before closing time and waited only 10mn outside. Inside it was quite crowded though.

I may mention as well the exhibition in Nara which started last week, near the botanical Garden : not much but : some swords (some being National Treasures), but not many, and some armors. I cannot set my hands on the leaflet as Air France lost my luggage ! And photos were fobiden.... Sorry.

best regards to all

Bonjour Jean

glad to see you around...

Of course I will share things, otherwise I would not be here....ne ?

As I said all my papers and notes are in my suitcase which Air France has not yet delivered....

Regarding the Dai Tokugawa Exhibition ...I found that the blades were badly lit...which obliges the connoissseur to bend quite low, or even nearly kneel on the floor to be able to scrutinize the details.... I wonder if this was intended by the National Museum Organiers, to see the amateurs bend or kneel in front of such treasures.... because they are truely treasures no doubt about that...I did not buy the all-Japanese catalogue : too heavy in my suitcase... which eventuelly I did not get...lol

I do not remember which exhibition (maybe the small Shrine exhibition in Nara ?) there were even some late Heian blades....

This was my first trip to Japan.... and I deeply think that this was a much greater investment for me in Japanese knowledge than purchasing a blade (for a same price).... I would strongly recommend anyone who has not been there, to definitely go and visit, and feel the whiff of ancient temples and castles where these pieces of arts were built for their beauty...and for killing ...

in a word : "I shall return"....

Have a nice day

Pascal

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the headsup, Paul.

Osafune is just down the road from here so I will make every effort to see that. It looks like I may have missed the Omamori-gatana exhibit which has moved on down to Kyushu. A pity as I have a rather nice koshirae-tsuki tanto example myself and wanted to find out more about them...

This exhibition is still running. I wil pop in and see it tomorrow, and the photos, although it looks like the Mamorigatana are modern creations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..