A Sword I Am Looking At Right Now...

Stephen,

Kamata-san DOES get some lovely stuff :)

My Kaga Yukimitsu katana from about 1527 I got from him - she was absolutely MAGNIFICENT and looking back on it I have *no idea* WHY THE HELL I sold her...

She really was quite magnificent...

Oh well...

John YES, too much time put into shoshin or gimei

id like to have seen the price on this before it went on hold, Tadahiro had activity other than flat line... :)

http://www.tokka.biz/sword/tadahiro3.html

Johnno, I do like your sword, and i hope it gives you many years of enjoyment. I did a surface study of Hizento when i was trying to ID a wakizashi I posted about last summer; I am no expert. Having said that, thank you Karl BA for returning to respond, even though you did not address my question directly. I rather doubt you have ferreted out all my secrets, however :laughing:  I have an open mind if you are actually using remote viewing to get your information, so here is a question that will test your RV skills......who made my mumei suriage wakizashi? You will know which one when you approach the target. Steve BA, Cert. Tank and Auto Maint. Mgmt. Officer 91B5PR, Journeyman Carpenter, Bladesmith, PADI Master Scuba Diver/ Divemaster, SBS (surfboard shaper) retired :)

• Like 1

Surfboard shaper ? :) lol Even I know SBS is Special Boat Service - and I'm a Brit who spent most of my life in Oz - the great down under land :) lol

Seriously though SAS - many many thanks. Its amazing how no matter how old you are getting you still feel like a KID when you know that new sword is on her way to you (although in my case everything was closed down in Oz on Friday so sadly I have to wait till Monday for her to even begin the journey to me...

Having said that - yes - cannot wait... The second I know she's on the way I'll be scoring some decent uchiko and choji oil and a few other bits from Heibei Namikawa as always and getting ready for some quality time with my new sword :)

Its just not the same sitting down to watch your way through Sword of Doom or the full series of Lone Wolf and Cub or any of the real classics like 7 samurai without actually HAVING some decent Nihonto in the place...:)

• Like 2

Thank you for the multiple angles and queries above... as you are all 'intelligent folk' and you are all QUESTIONING what I am doing which is good.

To HELP the stalwart disbelievers...  show me post#71's characters and I'll talk about them using other swords (evidence) to identify them. I don't need a hamon. Let the life-long masters of the waves with their long-boards take to the waves (surfing term) it's their playground, not mine. They can own it. Have it. 

Here are the characters again but would appreciate comments as stated.

post-380-0-94777600-1451768837_thumb.jpg

post-380-0-87416900-1451768869_thumb.jpg

Here are the characters again but would appreciate comments as stated.

attachicon.gifIMG_5733.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5735.JPG

Having spent the better part of a week with Robert Robertshaw's book studying a confusing mei on a sword my first though is no one in the Tadayoshi main line signed Tada like that. I mean the extra stroke at the very top of the center line and the small extra stroke at the bottom of the vertical stroke on the bottom left plus the over all shape is difrent than anything I can remember, it's taller and 'squarer' for lack of a better term. Yoshi is odd as well as I think only Tadayoshi 5th signed with an upward stroke on the left side of the 'box' but also he finished the horizontal strokes with a stronger mark on the right and not the left.

I would highly suggest you get Roberts book on main line Hizen smiths. It's less than a $40 download in PDF format and is an excellent reference.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Greg :) The countdown has begun - hopefully she will be with me soon :)

Yes it is a nice sword. Suguha isnt one of my favorite hamon style but I do think the sword has a lot of beauty to enjoy. Congrars John.
Stephen i think that Tadahiro is stunning. Cheers.

Greg

Having spent the better part of a week with Robert Robertshaw's book studying a confusing mei on a sword my first though is no one in the Tadayoshi main line signed Tada like that. I mean the extra stroke at the very top of the center line and the small extra stroke at the bottom of the vertical stroke on the bottom left plus the over all shape is difrent than anything I can remember, it's taller and 'squarer' for lack of a better term. Yoshi is odd as well as I think only Tadayoshi 5th signed with an upward stroke on the left side of the 'box' but also he finished the horizontal strokes with a stronger mark on the right and not the left.

I would highly suggest you get Roberts book on main line Hizen smiths. It's less than a $40 download in PDF format and is an excellent reference.

Bill

Thanks Bill but I did want    -   KarlPeterSmith, on 02 Jan 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:    to talk about them as he stated he could - I know they are gimei - I just wanted to hear his particular analysis if the characters.

""To HELP the stalwart disbelievers...  show me post#71's characters and I'll talk about them using other swords (evidence) to identify them. I don't need a hamon. Let the life-long masters of the waves with their long-boards take to the waves (surfing term) it's their playground, not mine. ""

That was what the re=posting was for :) 

Thanks Bill but I did want    -   KarlPeterSmith, on 02 Jan 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:    to talk about them as he stated he could - I know they are gimei - I just wanted to hear his particular analysis if the characters.

""To HELP the stalwart disbelievers...  show me post#71's characters and I'll talk about them using other swords (evidence) to identify them. I don't need a hamon. Let the life-long masters of the waves with their long-boards take to the waves (surfing term) it's their playground, not mine. ""

That was what the re=posting was for :) 

Oh, yeah. Sorry about spoiling the fun. All I saw was the "would appreciate comments" and having Tadayoshi swirling around in my brain just blurted it out. I will READ next time!

Apologies.

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - 05 Feb, 2016: I have been in deep discussion with the owner of the blade - swapped emails - blade details - and revealed a little more on the 'HIZEN-SMITH CODE' to the owner of this blade (Clang! Dropped that one in) ... and have come up with an ISSUE greater than any passive "it's a gimei" comment could dismiss... and so will not use that term further in this article (as the blade is way-more than that) and I will use the word 'copy' to represent a 'faithful reproduction'.

My initial "It's a HIROSADA" comment (was wrong, but right for what i was seeing) it was based on the first character on the blade... call it a 'starting point' to this story...    Similar writing on the blade matched up with Hirosada's 2nd son Tadakuni (Hironori) 'bommerang' in the 'Tada', 3-vertical lines in the 'HIRO' (there is normally only 2) which seemed to be a fight between Tadayoshi's real son (Omi/Nidai) and adopted son Masahiro (Yoshinobu's real son)... and that's a lot of similarities for a 'copy'...  SOMEONE was making this using a primary resource... call it a real-one, a real-copy (commission). So lets agree it's a 'copy' and continue... 

An expert (not naming him here) in Canada has faithfully described the blade and a specific period at which it could have been made. 100% 17th century. 

The 'Hiro' character matches up with a certain SUKEHIRO. And it's nice of SUKE to have a 'Hiro in his name too, much obliged, what a nice gentleman making my research a little easier on the eye. But it's more than that... KUNISUKE SCHOOL writing never leaves a maker's hand. 

An Osaka KUNISADA 'Musashi Daijo Fujiwara' and now a SUKEHIRO 'Tadahiro' turning up makes for a very busy Osaka workshop of Superior craftsmen. All would be VERY SHARP swords no doubt.

"Hey Inoue! Pump those bellows we'll still make a swordsmith out of you yet!" - Shinkai joke.

- I have recommended that he put the blade in for SHINSA for it is a SWORD that surpasses the original and needs a NEW term - A 17th century 'faithful emulation' by craftsman that can equal and surpass the original maker.

Other TADAHIRO swords match both TSUDA SUKEHIRO periods 'circle' and 'square' & also pupil SUKENAO (even with hamon) match museum TADAHIRO's... omg it's all to come. I'm just updating you.

Will these kinda swords be now worth more? Or less??? For the craftsmen were a handful of the BEST to ever live.

Sword has been recommended for Shinsa, Falling into-line SIR! Reporting for duty. SMASHED IT !