Hayashi Tohachi Tsuba

Pete Klein

As I was doing some reviewing of Sasano's 'Masterpieces' text today I ran across this tsuba by the third Hayashi master and noticed something I had missed to date. If you look at the seppa dai it has been carefully adapted to accommodate a larger saya via inserts to both sides, also allowing for a kozuka. I have not noticed this in past viewing and have never seen this done, at least to my recollection, so exquisitely. I never cease to marvel at the capabilities of the Japanese metalworkers.

post-110-14196741940248_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, no, sorry I didn't, I got to the show twice for about 2 hours each time, trying to concentrate on the tosogu. Yashima took up a lot of my time as did catching up with a few friends like minded.

I did run into an Umetada tsuba with a cheeky 12.000.000 Yen on the tag. I think we discussed this particular tsuba or one similar in these pages a while back. I also saw a most magnificent San Nobuie, but not at the show. I am going back for a better look on Monday. The show was packed today and I did not take any images as it would have been just too hard.

Saturday night, in the midst of typhoon 18 (I think) we had the NMB dinner. Here's the who's who of who attended.

Our most excellent host, Mr Guido Schiller along with (in no particular order)

Ron Hartman

Zenon van Damme

Hans Eschbaum

Bob Hughes

Erol Ishikawa

Mark Jones

Steve Miller

Clive Sinclair

Kenji Mishina

Koichi Moriyama

Justin Orr

Karl Peuker

Gordon Robson

Roger Robertshaw

Henry Wilson

and a few other I did not meet (we were in two rooms).

and my humble self, of course ;-)

I know I have missed someone, damm. I was so tired the last few days. Sorry missed friends.

This time, I did not take any images (too tired) but Henry did so Henry.............. Put up some NMB images.

There is an excellent exhibition on at the Tokyo National Museum at present on the Treasures of the Tokugawa. If you are reading this and in Japan, go if you have not already. It is great.

On Friday night I was poured onto a train in Shinjuku by Mr Justin Orr and sent to my hotel via a rout I was not accustomed too. Getting off at Kanda I was accosted by about 6 hookers and battled to make it home at all.

I have made just one purchase so far. A papered ko Goto Kogai in the style of Sojo though it did not come from the DTI. The stores were nice and quiet on Saturday, I was able to spend some time working on my purchase :-)

Well thats it for about now. I will try and report in again soon. I need a nana nap.

Jaa nee

Rich

post-5-14196741948559_thumb.jpg

post-5-1419674195002_thumb.jpg

Dear Richard

I have, in my collection, a tsuba very like your own apart from some small details, and the fact that it lacks the openings in its lower segment. Measuring 7.1 cm – 6.8 cm, I have it catalogued as mumei and as early Akasaka work. But, with the wisdom of hindsight, I suspect that it has traces of a mei, although these have not come out in my photograph. You are doubtless aware of another similar tsuba, #2 on pl. XVII of Hamilton’s rather flawed catalogue of the Peabody Museum’s collection. All three tsuba appear to vary only in the presence or absence of a mei and in the distribution of the lower hitsu.

Regards, John L.

post-64-14196741962958_thumb.jpg

"I have made just one purchase so far. A papered ko Goto Kogai in the style of Sojo "

Valkommen to the dark side, as I told you a couple of years ago.......ve all go back to the kinko works EVENTUALLY.( just like those monks in the monastery, there's only that much austerity ( wabi/sabi old irons ) you can take , but they all enjoy a hearty red wines ( kinko works ) once in a while ) :badgrin:

milt the ronin

I can see the Sojo attribution. Very nice purchase.

I wish I could have been there. It must have been great sport!

If you see Hans and Gordon again please relay my best for the holidays.

And keep us informed of any new adventures --

Enjoy!

Thanks mate, yes I quite like it. You really need to do this trip, you will go mad LOL. I will pass on your regards as I am seeing Gordon tonight. I hope to see Hans again before he leaves, I will try and tee that up.

Best

Rich

"I have made just one purchase so far. A papered ko Goto Kogai in the style of Sojo "

Valkommen to the dark side, as I told you a couple of years ago.......ve all go back to the kinko works EVENTUALLY.( just like those monks in the monastery, there's only that much austerity ( wabi/sabi old irons ) you can take , but they all enjoy a hearty red wines ( kinko works ) once in a while ) :badgrin:

milt the ronin

hahahahaha, yes very funny, I think Pete has your number Milt. BUT, I am not returning as you say to the dark side but venturing into it for the first time really. I still cannot cope with the modern stuff much (1700's onwards) though. I think I have a prerequisite of 1650's and before LOL. Anyway, I found a great Kyo Sukashi yesterday that will set me back on the straight and narrow.

Rich

Dear Richard

I have, in my collection, a tsuba very like your own apart from some small details, and the fact that it lacks the openings in its lower segment. Measuring 7.1 cm – 6.8 cm, I have it catalogued as mumei and as early Akasaka work. But, with the wisdom of hindsight, I suspect that it has traces of a mei, although these have not come out in my photograph. You are doubtless aware of another similar tsuba, #2 on pl. XVII of Hamilton’s rather flawed catalogue of the Peabody Museum’s collection. All three tsuba appear to vary only in the presence or absence of a mei and in the distribution of the lower hitsu.

Regards, John L.

Hello John. This was a bit of a popular theme in many incarnations I believe. I have seen it or a variation in Akasaka, Shoami, I think Tosa Myochin and in several books from schools I cant think of at this second. I imagine as Yasatsugu was primarily a Tosho, his design would have been taken from somewhere else.

Best wishes

Richard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..