Is This A World War Ii Imperial Japanese Officer´s Kyu Gunto Sword ?

Assunssas

Hi all,

Im from Portugal, i own this sword (atachment) ... i sent to an apraiser he said it was worthless, then i took it to another apraiser he said he didnt know this kind of swords ....

So i used an internet apraisal site, and they said it was a WWII Imperial Japanese Officer´s Kyu Gunto Sword ...

If enyone can take a minute an look at it, i would really like a honest opinion on it ...

Regards

Daniel

post-3489-0-95464500-1450134778_thumb.jpg

post-3489-0-88578100-1450134801_thumb.jpg

post-3489-0-72866400-1450134817_thumb.jpg

There is no point in removing the handle, that is correct.  The blade is a mass produced, machine made, arsenal blade.  If it were mine, I'd probably sell the sword and keep the tassel for another, but to each their own.

eny ideia if i separate sword and tassel, how much would each worth?

once again my gratitude.

It is a military sword using machine made steel. Some military edged weapon collectors would love to have it. However, there are some that are being fitted with old family blades that will appeal to the Nihonto collector....

mine has no blade marks, unless those marks are hidden in the nakago ... but from what have read here, in nakago only manufacturer marks appear right?

Daniel, you'll find a lot of information on the kyu-gunto at the Ohmura site, http://ohmura-study.net/771.html.

They are beautiful swords and you will find people who collect them. I don't understand why they sell for so much less than the combat swords, but I've found them in the $400 range. If you are beginning to collect war swords, yours is a good one to start with!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This sword is of low value because it is purely ornamental and common.

As Thomas pointed out, it is a type 19 (1886) Army company-grade officer dress sword kyu gunto. The blade is machine made from a soft alloy, unsharpened and chrome plated.

These swords were made in huge numbers, because they were used for nearly 60 years (1886-1945). When the kyu gunto was replaced by the shin gunto, its dress counterpart remained in use. Dawson shows a dress shin gunto in his book but mentions that those were very rare, the officers preferring the kyu gunto-shaped dress sword.

That said, I concur with Rob M and would not separate sword and tassel. It may not be the original tassel, because the sword may have been made before the introduction of the shin gunto. However, it seem to be the tassel it was used with during WWII, so I would keep both sword and tassel together.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..