Torigoye: Kodogu and Tsuba

Martin

Hi,

I am looking for a specific Tsuba from the estate of Ruth Schneidman, a collector of Japanese Metalwork (mainly Kogai). It may be listed in the following book:

Author and/or Illustrator: Torigoye, Kazutaro.

Title: Kodogu and Tsuba International Collections not published in my books

In a description it says: "Illustrates many tsuba and other sword fittings from many collectors, including Lundgren and Ruth Schneidman."

Does anyone have access to this book?

cheers,

Edit: was it the May 25-26, 1989 sale ?

Hi Paul,

yes, it was the 1989 sale.

Fine Japanese Prints and Works of Art New York Thursday Friday May 25-26, 1989

Sotheby's

8.25 x 10", approx. 250 pages, profusely illustrated, some in color, paper, New York, 1989.

Property of various owners including the estate of Katherine Matties, the estate of Madelyn Hickmott, the estate of Ruth Schneidman, the estate of Frell L. Albright, the collection of Frederick J. and Antoinette H. Van Slyke, and the University of Chicago.

I already bought the catalogue but unfortunately the Tsuba was not part of the auction.

I attached a picture of the Auction catalogue and the Tsuba I am looking for (some of you might have already seen it in another thread).

thanks so far :)

post-50-14196741920442_thumb.jpg

Martin -- the Ruth Schneidman sale was Dec. 8th and 9th, 1988 at Sotheby's New York. I believe the catalog you have is one for left overs of the original sale. I checked all of the descriptions and did not see this tsuba described nor any pictures of it. I also did not find it in Tosa Soran. Are you certain it is of her collection?

Well, I knew I'd seen this before. It was from the Francis O. Libby Collection sale, Portland, Maine Museum of Fine Art, Christie's, New York, Japanes Works of Art, June 19th, 1993, page 26, # 69. I have several pieces from that collection so I must have remembered it from the catalogue.

BTW -- it did not sell at auction.

post-110-141967419234_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

well that´s great ! :thumbsup:

I must try to ask the previous owner about that sale again as I was told it once belonged to Ruth Schneidman...

Very interesting information Pete and thanks a lot for your effort :)

Now I must find that catalogue :D

cheers,

Not a prob Martin -- I enjoy hitting the books! :D

I don't see how it could have been one of hers as this collection was extant while she was collecting as he died in 1961. Possibly it was sold to the present owner with that information? It is still a great piece.

I've always wanted one of her kogai. She used to wear them at the sword shows. She was quite a scholar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..