Urushi lacquering

Im currently *trying* to obtain a good finish lacquer job on a wall mounted katanakake i made from scratch, it is basic looking but... GOD! its hard to have a good lacquer finish... im currently using cashew lacquer (syntetic) before i do any real urushi lacquer job, i do not want to waste any urushi with noob mistakes so its best to waste the cashew one :)

Its very hard to find proper information on how to actually lacquer using urushi, aside from the danger of it, not much information is available online, so i ordered a few books on the subject. i applied 1 drop of urushi on the back of my hand to see if i am sensitive and i have no reaction after 5 days.. Trust me this doesnt mean i will bath on urushi because i think im immune to its dangerous reaction.. it only means that im not *this* sensible to it for now.

Anyways, it seems that i drifted away a bit, so ... *ahem* aside from your traditional katanakake i dont see much other options to display your prized nihonto... hmm if you got some cash to invest it would be nice to have one of these "museum" display with glasses, velvet buttom and a small description.. classy to have in your library!

oops!

Remy

I split this from the original post, because it is a topic in itself.

I found the following file in my Nihonto folder, and unfortunately do not remember where I got it. So hopefully the original poster will forgive me posting it, and has my thanks.

If there are any copyright issues, please let me know and I'll pull it. But judging by the dates, it should be ok to share.

Brian

Urushi Lacquering .doc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..