Wwii Sword Translation

charles heesh

post-1737-0-29474500-1449407265_thumb.jpgHello All, I am in need of assistance with translating the kanji on this Katana. The photo was taken with a smart phone and sent to me. I had advised the young man who owns this sword to highlight the kanji with Talcum powder but he did not do a great job. I do not have this sword to make a better photo. I belive this form of Kanji is called Go Sho(?) and I do not have the books necessary to translate. But then I am not very well versed in this style anyways.

The fellow lives in Maryland and has agreed to bring it to me around Christmas holidays.

Any assistance this forum could provide would be greatly appreciated. The young man recieved the sword from a family member and was taken during WWII by his great uncle. He does intend to have it restored at sometime in the future.

Thank you all for your efforts, Charlie

I had advised the young man who owns this sword to highlight the kanji with Talcum powder but he did not do a great job.

Yes, unfortunately I have to agree. The talcum powder is distracting because it hasn't been applied evenly, and I'm afraid it has obscured the kanji strokes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in early December I recieved a photo of a WWII or earlier sword with kanji in a style I am unable to translate and have no refferance books for. The photo was of poor quality.

I now have this sword in hand and have taken some new and hopefully better photos of the kanji.

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Happy Holidays to all, Charlie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..