F/k Paper

Stephen

Stephen

it doesn't give an indication of date. Only school and materials/techniques.

In my opinion the Hamano attribution is pretty tenuous (looks more like it was influenced by various aspects of the Nara school) and later than 1800s would be 20th century so I think it's safe to assume 1800s :-)

I would sugest that this is one of those instances where the papers actually add nothing to the piece other than to artificially inflate the price. The set is what it is, late Edo machibori, mediocre. They say Hamano, I don't think that claim is very certain.

Personally speaking I am now of the view that, rare exceptions aside, unless it's signed most school attributions are bogus. If an artist was a ligitimate member of a school this would have been a matter of record, and it seems from what I've read a matter of public knowledge,  'back in the day' and a significant selling point. If you actually bought  a piece from a 'licenced' Hamano student you'd want his name on it as a mark of authenticity. Especially as in this case where the work isn't very distinctive. And don't get me started on unsigned Hirata Hikozo tsuba...the poor man's reputation is saddled with so much dull copper I'm sure he's be appalled were he able to look down from tsuba heaven. :shock:

The absence of a mei on work of this sort of quality (average) indicates to me that while it may be emulating a fashionable style it can claim no direct connection to any recognised school. But that's just my present understanding of matters, others may hold differing opinions.

regards

Ford

• Like 1

Thanks for being set set straight again Ford san. Ill keep up the bottom feeding.

Meant to say before 1800s as  you well guessed. 

edit to add, It was not bought thinking it was anything other than what it is

will be mounted with some tadpole lower end menuki and salvaged cast copy tsuba on a so so sword so, like me a bit mediocre. why break tradition?? 

post-19-0-94166200-1448906063_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-49634200-1448906032_thumb.jpg

with off white into

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..