Nihonto Display Options?

Robert,

I would suspect that most people who are displaying swords in koshirae either just have them on a sword stand on a table or shelf, or have a wall mounted stand that works the same way.

Not too many options open to you I think?

Brian

Only an idea:

I have hung up a katana (not a valuable antique) with two guitar strings from the ceiling like a painting. The sword is placed above a plain shelf. The strings are nearly invisible and therefore the sword is "hovering" and not affected by any stand.

The strings were cushioned by simply using black wire insulation from an old earphone...

string.jpg

(Of course it is not safe and is a bit intricate to handle...)

That's how it looks like in my livingroom. Nothing special maybe.

The Oshigata is framed in dark "wenge" wood. I don't know the english term for it. It looks like dark brown oak but has some thin light brown and dark brown stripes.

The saya is "tiger stripe" one. It is hard to photograph as it is only visible under some special light conditions.

Very nice wood!

post-377-14196741903565_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..