Crossed Hoke feather fittinngs

sencho

I am looking for crossed hoke feather fittings.... This is my wifes family mon and I wanted to give my father in law a neat gift....

Has anyone ever seen any fittings, or Tsuba especially, like this or including this design?

Cheers Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Are you talking about the mon that you have in your icon/avatar? If so, you should be able to find fittings and other antiques with this motif in it. If I'm not mistaken this is one of the more common crests - apparently associated with a number of Japanese last names. I have seen items with this crest before. I will keep on the lookout.

Steve M.

Yes that is exactly what i am looking for....

My wifes parents have a house in Japan that my wifes great great grandfather built.... it has this family mon carved beautifully into some of the wood work, especially by the shrine in the house..... My wife father told me it was their family crest....

Anyway I am looking for something with this mon. Thanks for the reply!!

Cheers

Nigel

That looks good, thanks Curran.... thanks also for the other links you guys posted...

I am Captaining in the Mediterranean right now Curran, I hope this is still available when I get back to Florida end of Sept....

Do you know what is KyoSukashi ??? I know nothing about Tsuba.

Thanks again for your help

Nigel

Kyo sukashi basically means "Kyoto" sukashi. Kyo being short for Kyoto in this instance. Sukashi just being the openwork (null space) style.

Kyo sukashi usually refers to the open work sukashi tsuba of a certain "aesthetic sense" associated with the refinement of Kyoto. Some of them are truely elegant.

I don't know if Bob Benson attribution is 100% correct, but it is relatively close enough.

You aren't missing much in Florida currently. Too much rain. Luckily no hurricanes so far- *knock on wood* (is that just an American saying, or internationally recognized?).

Curran

... or touch wood... I usually put my hand to my head when saying this... pretty good season so far... I hope Septemebr doesn't make up for it and take the rest of my avacado tree... Wilma took half of it last year!

Thanks for your info and knowledge Curran, and perhaps catch up with you for a cold one on my return.

BTW... just purchasing my first ever sword now after a year and a half being interested. More later!

Cheers

Nigel

Cool. I look forward to it.

There is a storm forming now that I am a little concerned may become a Wilma part 2. We'll see in about 36 hours.

I believe you are several hours away by car.

If you feel like it, boat to our dock. We're on a bay only about 1000ft from the Intercostal Water Way, but we only have about 5 to 6 ft of depth. Not sure that is enough for your boat.

Curran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Sencho,

The crossed feathers mon is one of the most popular because it also belonged to the Asano family of "Chushingura" fame.

Because of this you can buy various things with this mon at Sengakuji Temple (where the 47 Ronin and Lord Asano are buried) and there is a very nice brass version measuring about 2" diameter which is available at the Yasukuni Jinja bookshop.

Hope this helps.....even if it's a bit late.

Happy New Year,

Simon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..