Living National Treasure Sumitani Masamine Kogatana

Yoshimichi

This is the first time I have offered anything for sale on the NMB. I was fortunate to recently acquire a number of great items from a private collector who purchased the pieces between about 1978-1981, and who has kept them stored away since then. This includes some really fine tsuba, kozuka, and other items. This rare kogatana was purchased in 1981 directly from Masamine-san by the person I acquired it from, and while that person was visiting Masamine-san's home/shop in Japan with John Yumoto and a few other collectors. Also included as an added bonus is the white silk cloth personally signed by Masamine-san and given to the original owner as a gift at the time. I believe Sumitani Masamine was elevated to the status of Living National Treasure in 1981, the year this was purchased. I believe the horimono dragon on this piece was carved by Mukansa horimono carver Kokeguchi Sensyu. I understand that Masamine-san and Kokeguchi Sensyu have both unfortunately passed. A kogatana by Sumitani Masamine with horimono (not a dragon motif) carved by Kokeguchi Sensyu sold on an Aoi-Art auction (I believe around June) for around $3777. 

This great piece has been in a private collection for 34 years and it has never been offered for sale until now. I am offering this package for a brief period of time to the NMB community for $3,100. In addition, the buyer must pay shipping and insurance costs. If it sells, I will donate $100 to the NMB. This is a rare opportunity to add a Living National Treasure piece to your collection, without having to spend $15,000-$25,000 for one. If seriously interested, or if you have questions, please email me at besheehan@aol.com.

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)  

post-1356-0-45117300-1445656748_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-05799900-1445656843_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-44448200-1445656902_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-11209100-1445656970_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-56494800-1445657023_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-94876800-1445657085_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Greg. The original photos were a little too small to see much of anything. I have posted a few more photos that hopefully show more detail of the horimono and hamon. Pretty cool piece. Given the price, I will be giving the purchaser a three (3) day return/inspection period.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi) 

post-1356-0-21309400-1445703547_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-72128700-1445703611_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-01594800-1445703636_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-12232800-1445703654_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-85837900-1445703674_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-81653800-1445703783_thumb.jpg

Thanks for viewing this piece. I am probably going to end the sale of this piece in the next couple of days, if it does not sell by then. Keep in mind that $3,100 is the asking price, and I learned long ago, like most collectors, that most everything is negotiable. I am therefore not one who is offended by or opposed to considering reasonable counter-offers. When I normally purchase items for myself, or sell items at the S.F. Token Kai, I anticipate that the final sale price is likely going to be a different number than the original asking price. That being said, if an NMB member is interested in acquiring this piece, but at a price that is different than the asking price, feel free to email me, and we'll see if we can arrive at a price that works for both of us.

Best regards,

Beautiful item Bill, and one that would be a great investment. Not a lot of money going around out there in Nihonto land lately, I am sure I am not the only one wishing I could take advantage of this.

Excellent even just as an example of fine horimono.
I know the usual "wish I could, but I don't have the money" isn't much help to sellers, but I guess it is nice to know it is us, and not you. :laughing:

Thanks for the reply, Brian. I agree with your assessment regarding the limited availability of funds in "Nihonto land" right now. I am hearing that this is also the case with many other areas of collecting right now: art, antiques, and other collectibles. I realize it is not so much a lack of interest or desire to own this particular piece that may prevent its sale right now , but more likely an issue of timing. I usually find the period from about mid-October through the end of April to be a period when the sale of collectibles in general, other than those being purchased as gifts, is much slower, but it is a good time to buy, if one has the funds available. I suppose it is because during that October to April window period, the holiday season is getting into full swing, people are beginning to spend money getting their homes ready for the holidays, entertaining family and friends, purchasing holiday gifts, and budgeting to pay property and income taxes.  Additionally, any fellow collectors fortunate enough to include a trip to Japan for the annual DTI into their  budget are naturally stashing away any extra money they may have left to fund their Japan adventure and potential purchases at the DTI.

Fortunately, I was able to acquire this piece for a reasonable price when I purchased it, and I am not financially buried into it, so I am able to hold onto the piece and study and enjoy it until next year's S.F. Token Kai, when I may possibly offer it for sale or trade again. For now, I am going to leave it up for sale and/or viewing on the NMB for a bit longer. Thanks again, Brian.  

Best regards,

If i may confess: (because i am a noob) my initial reaction was, "Isn't $3000+ a bit much?" And then i remembered, "The horimono on the sword costs more than the sword itself." Quite a steal if you think about that, not to mention it's made by Ningen Kokuho.  I guess it's only natural that expensive (IMHO very beautiful horimono) only attracts expensive (Ningen Kokuho etc)...making it doubly expensive :(  (albeit seller here is IMHO already making it a lot easier than i would normally imagine)

-Caleb

Archived