Wakizashi Signed Hishu Ju Hirosada

Shamsy

Good evening all,

I've had this wakizashi for a few years now but purchased it primarily for the mountings. I've been a little curious about it, but always thought it had a rather 'cheap' feel. I'm under no illusions this is a hidden masterpiece. In fact I'll repeat my feeling this is a cheap and not terribly well made example. However, I'm new to nihonto and I only have one other example to compare it with.

I've been reading and trying to learn the basics, so rather than a 'what is this' post, here is everything I have determined from my own modest attempt at appraisal. I'm sure there will be some mistakes and I'd appreciate correction on these, so I can hopefully avoid them in the future.

A shinogi zukuri wakizashi. The measurements are as follows:

Nagasa -54cm

Sori - 1.5cm

Kasane - 0.5cm

Kissaki - 3cm

Munemachi to tip of nakago is 14.5cm

I'm not set on this assessment, but to me it appears to be koski zori, as the upper portion of the blade appears to be relatively straight. A Ko - kissaki and narrow upper part of the blade. Iorimune with gentle Orosi. The nakago is a standard shape with the nakago iris either kengyo or iriyama-gata maybe. The nakago still displays fairly strong katte sagari file marks.

I really struggle with hada. I don't feel comfortable trying to make an assessment. I really need to see several examples together to recognize the difference and signs to look for. As previously mentioned, I only have two examples to compare. The same goes for other activitiesin the steel. The hamon is hoso-suguha and I think the boshi is ko-maru. The boshi temper line curves back to touch the tip of the ko - shinogi. One side is somewhat obscured by rust patch, but when I look at the other side, the upper part of the boshi curve seems to have... claw mark shapes pulling out of the boshi towards the yokote. I wasn't able to match this to anything I could find.

In terms of age, I don't see this sword being terribly old, though I believe that flat black rust does suggest the blade is reasonably old. Unfortunately it has not been looked after and has several inactive rust patches, some light pitting, minor marks evident. I'd also suggest someone may have tried to clean it at one stage.

If you can assist me with this blade I'd be very appreciative. There is a limit to what I can do having never met another person who would even know what nihonto means. It was a great experience to even talk to someone recently over the phone. I'm sure my butchering of the Japanese words was as painful for them as embarrassing for me. I'm also battling auto correct, so apologies if some of my words aren't correct. I had a good few photos but sadly most came out too large and I'll have to edit them.

Thanks you all, Steve

post-3293-0-15001000-1444896424_thumb.jpg

post-3293-0-23276500-1444896757_thumb.jpg

post-3293-0-09383100-1444897025_thumb.jpg

post-3293-0-54387700-1444897094_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

I think that the kuni is Hishu (肥州) rather than Kishu (紀州) so a choice of Higo or Hizen rather than Kii for the province of manufacture.

Hawleys has some possible candidates working in Hizen during the Edo period, none in Higo:

HIR 367: Signing Hizen Kuni Ju Nin Fujiwara Hirosada (1st Generation) working around 1615

HIR 368: Signing Hizen Kuni Ju Hirosada (2nd Generation, son of Kanehiro, good suguba) working around 1684

HIR 364: Signing Hizen Kuni Ju Hirosada (son of Hirosada, presumably the one above) working around 1716.

The first generation gets 20 points and the others 15 so average skill level.

My guess would be one of the later generations as the sword looks to have the kanbun sugata. 

Best,

John

• Like 1

Thank you for the assistance, always greatly appreciated John. I agree with you that it's likely later generation to, as I'd say the sword certainly looks of average make to me. I've corrected the spelling to and added some notes for my records.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..