Info On Copper Alloy (Shakudo?) Tray

Nihonto Chicken

Thanks for the feedback on my porcelain bowl, I'm encouraged to ask about another art form I've had for years.  Below are pics of a copper alloy, maybe shakudo, tray with bamboo form rim and pine cone feet.  Sorry about the sideways mei close-up, was rotated on upload to Photobucket and the PB editor timed out numerous times, too busy jamming ads on the screen to perform a rotation.  I included it more to show the alloy detail at the bottom of the pic, the top is mostly sunlight reflection.  These are full sunlight photos, the tray is much darker appearing in indoor light.

IMG_0392_zps4iuyczcu.jpg

IMG_0396_zpswjtop6fv.jpg

IMG_0394_zpsmxhhbctl.jpg

I was told by some bonsai guys years ago at a local Japanese heritage celebration that this is a tray for a flower arrangement, used with a frog set in the middle to anchor the stems.  Anyone care to confirm or deny?  Can't remember their mei translation, would appreciate that if someone knows it immediately.  Also any opinions as to the alloy?  TIA!

P.S. - How does one put up the expandable thumbnail pics here instead of the full shots?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :)

Thank you all for your informative responses. I've attached an annotated stickie to the ikebana to retain the info. I suppose that the metal may be bronze, I hadn't considered that as I associate that metal with Chinese work, plus it more often has a reddish brown patina, while my item is more a greenish gray where it is patinated. I know that good shakudo with decent patination is a deep purplish black, but doesn't low gold content shakudo turn more of a greenish gray?

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..