Korean Or Japanese Bowl ?

Bernard

charming but modern in mine eyes

i have never seen such kind of feet execution yet- least not on any antique one.

the stylism fitts more to Korea (if Korea???) than to any Japanese pot i have seen, equally.

i am not shure if this is not just a contemporary workshop piece, done "in taste and vogue" to Southeast-Asian" taste maybe....

can be wrong of course....

Christian

Japanese?

I am strongly of the opinion it is not Korean.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/203532379

The inlay style is mostly recognized as Mishima pottery, i think this post will give most some extra understanding, it was originally from Korea..

But recently Japanese ceramics are generally more available than Korean works.

The outside has a frequently seen hakame glaze, which looks like the stroke of a (big) brush, to be honest, i think its of Japanese origin, perhaps made by someone who felt very creative with the koudai, the size of the tea bowl would be more of less like chawan.

http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/mishima-pottery-jt.html

The Mishima name may be 17th-century, but the style itself goes back to the Koryo Period (935-1392) when bowls decorated in this way were known as Korai-jawan or Korai tea bowls. These were also inlaid with various motifs such as floral and animal depictions. A potter would incise the design in the body, fill it in with contrasting colored clay or slip and then cover it with a transparent glaze. This technique peaked in Korea in the 12th-13th-century Koryo celadons, deemed "first under heaven." It's also referred to as zogan.

Mishima!

That is the name I couldn't remember. I thought it started with an 'M'.

I knew one of our more knowledgeable would pop in, so hesitated to post. Koryo celadon slip work, but otherwise very not Korean.

My pleasure really, apart from nihonto and Japanese ceramics (and some Korean and American :)), i have no other interests.

Yes, that is MISHIMA technique. In detail, the design can be incised with sharp tools, but in many cases, e.g. in mass produced pottery ware, the design was stamped in the still soft clay body. It was then filled with (mostly) white slip with a soft brush. After drying to leatherhard condition, the surface was scraped with special tools (KANNA) on the wheel until the design was clearly visible on the surface. It was only then when a clear glaze (or a Celadon glaze) was applied.

The HAKEME technique works in the same way: slip was brushed on with a soft brush, and a clear glaze was applied after drying.  

The age of the bowl and its provenance can be determined by spectroscopic methods (Mössbauer). 

:-?

sorry gents,

here but! i personally think you certainly!! (very certainly!) you do have a wet dream!

the  Mishima is : http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/mishima-pottery-jt.html

the pot here in question is very certainly NOT this!

(but again, just mine very personal- maybe(?) humble :-?  opinion,  on  maybe to ben called," well intended expertees opinions")- is but certainly a " LOL!"  from mine side :thumbsup: )

Christian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..