Stibbert Museum is loaning to the Ringling Museum of Sarasota for their new Asian wing.

The Samurai Exhibit runs from Jan to April, so might be a nice sidetrip for anyone attending the Tampa Sword Show.

It is about 35-40minutes from the show, about 1/2 way from were I live to the show.

http://www.ringling.org/events/samurai-way-warrior

Other than the Dali Museum south of Tampa [2nd best in the world, but a distant second to Spain],

this side of Florida has been relatively devoid of Art. The Tampa Museum is one of the worst I've ever visited.

The St. Pete Museum has an odd collection of a few prime pieces by O'Keefe and others.

Sarasota has the Ringling Museum, which enjoyed more for its Great Gatsby era grounds than the crazy hit or miss collection where some great works struggle for wall space with some worst examples of well known artists.

That we were getting an Asia wing and that it would have anything Japanese- yet alone the Stibbert Museum pieces on loan.... I would have thought it an April Fools Day Joke. But the wing just opened.

Sorry, that is local speak for "St. Petersburg". Once famous for its elderly population, it has since gentrified into a younger hipper place between Tampa and Sarasota. The Tampa Bay Rays and Tampa Bay Lightening both play in St. Petersburg- not in Tampa. From the Dali Museum to other more Mardi Gras type small carnivals, it has more Art and Party going on.

I can easily imagine Pete Klein as mayor of St. Petersburg, but I'm not sure he should or would want to be sanctified.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..