Exhibition Rooms

BIG

Yes, that's what I've been seeing lately, Guido, but why?  Anyone who studies Nihonto can see that Kamakura, & even Nambokucho, blades have workmanship that's far superior to Shinto/Shinshinto swords.  Doesn't make much sense.

The criteria to receive jūyō are much more strict for shintō – they basically have to be ubu zaimei and in flawless condition; kotō are not held to that high standard. There are less shintō than kotō anyhow, so it’s the relative rarity that makes jūyō shintō more expensive.

There are less shintō than kotō anyhow

That's news to me, Guido! Is there some way to estimate how many Kotō, Shintō, & Shinshintō blades have been made?  I guess I've always been under the assumption that, even though the major internicine wars were over, there were still a lot more blades made after 1600 than before.

Ken

I guess I've always been under the assumption that, even though the major internicine wars were over, there were still a lot more blades made after 1600 than before.

I may have the statistics somewhere at home, but am travelling now and have no access. Anyhow, if you take into consideration that the kotō period lasted for about 700 years, and the shintō period less than 200 years (mostly in a time of peace, and the number of smiths sharply declining from the Genroku period on), I think it’s safe to assume that more kotō are extant than shintō.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..