Some JAP(anese) SWORDS are Good!

I won't edit the use of "Jap" here since it is a direct quote of the title of the article, but just noting that nowdays some find it slightly offensive and derogatory to abbreviate "Japanese" like this.

In 1946 when this was written, it might have been acceptable, but for our Japanese friends and others, I'll just note that it is frowned upon here.

In this case, the article uses it, and I'll allow it, but it isn't policy :)

Interesting article though..showing that even back then there was some idea that there were some good swords worthy of preservation.

Nice find Rémy.

Brian

Rémy,

I am sure you didn't offend anyone, it is an interesting article and times were different back then. You merely quoted the article, and offence can't be taken if none was meant :)

No worries about it, the intentions were good.

Regards,

Brian

My family bought a old house and found some news papers from around that time, actually pre US entrance to the war. I was stunned at first at the way they used certain terms that would cause outrage today. Amazing how times change in one generation or so. They had absolutely no respect for foreigners back then, I am glad I live in a time where it is possible and easy to explore cultures other than our own

The author Dan Ota ( last name sounds Japanese ) didn't mind, I don't see why people should be " offended ".JUst the signs of time pre-dating the civil right movement............and don't get me started on what's going on now with the civil rights :evil:

milt the ronin

Yep... I hate being called a Brit" (especially as I am English :roll: !).... much prefer being referred to as a "limey bastard" (which in fact, I am!) :lol: :badgrin:

...but having a Japanese wife and extended family, I really do wince at that word...

cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..