Wood Block Print Help :)

Salvatori Moretto

Hello folks :)

I received this wood block print (I assume that's the name for this) some time ago and was wondering if I can get some help figuring out if it's real, who's it signed by? age? any info at all?

It looks nice and I don't mind it hanging in my living room, but it's just always nice to have some background history on things when people ask :)

Thanks,

Sal

post-3341-0-62126200-1443142501_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-26098700-1443142514_thumb.jpg

Hello Salvatori,

It's not an ukiyoe Japanese woodblock print. Maybe some kind of silkscreen? Anyway, I think it's a typical boy's day theme - sometimes you see this image on a scroll hung up in the house for boy's day. It is representative of the wish for boys to grow up to be strong and wise and virtuous.The samurai is wearing Heian-period gear (or, I should say a modern artist's rendering of Heian-period gear). The image is evocative of Minamoto Yoshitsune, a near-mythical folk hero from Japanese history.

If you do a Google image search for 吉祥武者 (kichijō musha) you will find similar images.

I can't make out the artist's name, but the theme is a common one.

• Like 1

No - sorry, I'm in the same boat as you. But, if its any consolation, I think you are right, somewhere between 20 and 100 years.  :-?

And the difference in value (be it 20 or 100 years) would not be huge. It is a souvenir, and, if you are interested in Japan it will have some value for you as a Japanese souvenir, plus whatever sentimental value you give to it. As an antique or an artwork, it wouldn't be terribly valuable. 

It's been framed, I tried to take it off but the framing company that mounted it (a local one in Tallahassee before I owned it) seems to have at least affixed it somehow to the frame and out of fear of damaging it whilst trying to take it off I just left it :/  It does appear to been done on a screen thought, and it appears silk if that helps.

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..