I have two old sword, help me figure them out..

I've got an old sword which seems to be genuine according to what many people say, and I'm trying to figure out more about it.. Actually, I've got 2 swords, but I'm focused on just one for right now.. on the tang it reads o gasa wara (uji) naga mune saku.. This otherwise stands for Nagamune of the Ogasawara clan from what I've been told.. Anyway, since I can't load any picture of the sword and tang, I'll attach it to my post so you can check it out.. Please email back or post something if you know something.. Cheers,

Oh yeah, here's some measurements.. Some might be off, it's my first time doing this..

Mei: O Gasa (uji) Wara Naga Mune Sake

-basically means: Made by Nagamune of the Ogasawara lineage

Nagasa: 63 cm

Sakihaba: 2.25 cm

Motohaba: 3.1 cm

Nakago: 12c cm

Sori: 1 cm

Kissaki: 4 cm

Since I've no idea how to post pictures on here, maybe someone could email me and then I'll send them my pictures and they post them on here.. Thanks,

jedimasterham@yahoo.com

Hi (I assume it is Tom? I am definitely not calling you jedimaster :D )

Not much I can say about this one, so instead I'll give it a bump for the more knowlegeable members.

Usually these kind of aoi mon brass mounts are associated with Meiji period touristy pieces, but this blade looks like it might be a reasonable one. Occasionally you find older blades remounted like this during the Meiji period. I have a Nobuyoshi tanto in matching mounts that is definitely older.

Afraid I can't tell more than this, so hopefully someone will come to the rescue.

Nice looking blade though.

Brian

Edit to add: If you take a look at the swordsmith database linked above the forum, there are a few Nagamune signing this way from Musashi province. One of these will be your guy. Looks Shinshinto, and the most likely one is the Tenpo era guy (1830-1843) which would almost tie in with the mounts. Likely the one marked NAG351, he signed Ogasawara uji Nagamune saku

Hi (I assume it is Tom? I am definitely not calling you jedimaster :D )

Usually these kind of aoi mon brass mounts are associated with Meiji period touristy pieces, but this blade looks like it might be a reasonable one. Occasionally you find older blades remounted like this during the Meiji period. I have a Nobuyoshi tanto in matching mounts that is definitely older.

Edit to add: If you take a look at the swordsmith database linked above the forum, there are a few Nagamune signing this way from Musashi province. One of these will be your guy. Looks Shinshinto, and the most likely one is the Tenpo era guy (1830-1843) which would almost tie in with the mounts. Likely the one marked NAG351, he signed Ogasawara uji Nagamune saku

Yeah, I'm Tom, not jedimasterham! Some people said they thought it looked like it was refitted.. I'm wondering though, I found 2 hits for Ogasawara Nagamune online.. One was a lord of fukashi castle from 1400s-1500s and the other was a swordsmith added to the wazamono list thing.. so it's getting closer..

NAG351

Nagamune

Musashi no kuni (Tenpo)

NAG351 (10pts)

ogasawara uji nagamune saku

Yeah, thats what it says! looks like thats him right?? Do you have any more information on him???

Those appear to be very much pressed brass mounts, and not laquerwork.

Very typical of the Meiji period mounts.

Both appear to be genuine Japanese swords, probably traditionally made. The other one in the pics looks to have lots of dried grease and some pitting.

Kind of typical flashy antique touristy export market stuff if that makes sense. Made to export to the growing Western market that we flooding into Japan.

The blade quality varies considerably, but the one you show does appear to be not junk.

Brian

Jacques,

There is also an Ogasawara Nagamune (Musashi) signing exactly this way from the 1830's. See NAG351 as mentioned above.

With the mounts as is, without another ana, I suspect this date would fit better with this blade, but can't be certain.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..