Your Opinion

If you were building a koshirae in Uchigatana style and your ready to have a new saya started

your vote please

A:    plane saya no pockets

B:    one for kozuka

C:    one for  kogai

D:    two for both kogai and kozuka

Thank you for your answer.

searching images i have found all the above

Stephen,

Does your Tsuba have kogai and kozuka ana..? Because that would dictate the Koshirae, to a certain extent… 

A would not only be cheaper, but traditional for Uchigatana; however, C always looks nice IMO.. But, as I said before, the tsuba would often be 'plugged' with A. An example provided..

http://www.aoijapan.com/uchi-katana-koshirae

I haven't seen your Tsuka sorry, but some Fuchi are just not designed to accommodate a kogai because of the position and (raised) height of the design.. Anyway, good luck with it mate.

Barrie.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies,  personally i was torn between A and C. I do like the look of kogai, but leaning to none now.

Which leads me to second question, plug both ana or leave open?

this before pixpost-19-0-19489000-1442412755_thumb.jpg

link shows tsuka, ive had a change of mind on the one posted, which ill never sell as its a favorite. 

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/16526-new-tsuba/?hl=%2Btsuka+%2Brepair&do=findComment&comment=172087

the frog tsuba and its  gold highlights plus the kurikata from elders having gold on leafs brings it all together with the gold in tsuka?  all opinions welcomed. 

It depends. If you have relevant kogai and/or kozuka, or better a matching set of both, contemporaneous to your blade, one or two pockets could be marvelous.

On the other hand, if you have no such kogai and/or kozuka or only later examples, A remains a sound solution, but I am not exalted by tsuba-plugging.

• Like 1

Stephen, many katana sized tsuba have ana, even if they never were intended to be used - they're just kind of a design element. I listed the "traditional" preferences already, but it's up to you, whatever floats your boat will be fine, you're assembling *your* koshirae after all, and it doesn't matter if it's a crowd pleaser. A. is usually the traditional choice, and probably would be mine as well, but I'm pretty conservative (ar least when it comes to koshirae). Less is usually more.

• Like 2

Hi Stephen,

Your Koshirae (Tsuka and Tsuba) looks really nice.. We have all have seen many Koshirae with (both) Hitsu ana open, so it  will work…

post-2085-0-29972100-1442482030_thumb.jpgpost-2085-0-90843800-1442482097_thumb.jpg

Just to reiterate what I was saying though, here are two of my Wakizashi Tsuba That have only Kozuka fitted (as is the standard for Wakizashi), but I personally would not bother fitting plugs to an antique Tsuba, simply because of the cost; I hate spend money.. LOL. Your koshirae will look great as it is… As Guido - and every one else - has stated, its your Koshirae.. We do this for 'us'.. no one else.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product… 

Barrie.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..