Tsuba with kanji

Brian

Hi all,

A friend recently showed me a wakizashi that he has, and I noticed the tsuba is covered with kanji. I am not sure if the tsuba was made with the kanji, or whether they were added later. I lean towards the second guess.

These are the only 2 pics I have unfortunately, and I'm not sure if it is clear enough to translate, but thought I would put it out there and see if anyone has any idea of what is being conveyed here. Any comments on the tsuba itself?

Thanks,

Brian

Tsuba.jpg

Tsuba2.jpg

written in classical Chinese ( don't forget the edo samurai were usually well versed in Chinese classics, sort of like the Russian court of old often spoke French )..........

something about the silver river ( that usually mean the star constellation in the sky ), viewing the moon etc.

milt the ronin

roughly...........

silently the cloud parted to reveal the silver river.

The jade bat ( ??, second kanji is obscured ) started ascending towards the full moon ( guessing here.....).

Third line ( 7 characters to each line ).........something about sharing the sentiments /viewing.

4th line.......bright nightsomething something ( I am too ignorant/crude to express the meaning/sentiment :( )

whatever the poem means, it matches the theme......... very girly /refined.

I like it.

milt the ronin

That seems to be a poem written by 孫復 (992-1057) who was a Confucianist of ancient China. I could identify all characters, but I can understand only 60 % of their meaning. AFAIK, Milt is the best person to read classical Chinese. But I also give it a go.

[Only a guess translation]

銀河無聲露暗垂 – galaxy, silence, dewdrops in the darkness

玉蟾初上欲圓時 – the Moon rises and is becoming to its full

清樽素瑟宣先賞 – sake cup, simple koto (instrument), ???

明夜陰晴未可知 – nobody knows if it will be rainy or fine tomorrow night

明夜陰晴未可知 – nobody knows if it will be rainy or fine tomorrow night

Thanks, Nobody, you are the best..........

The last line express the sentiment about the uncertainty of future ( men's fate ? ), the bright night may bring " cloudy " dawn, no one knows.......

milt the ronin.

You guys are the best! :D

Wow. Amazing assistance from this forum. Thanks Milt and Moriyama san.

Do you think this was added at the time of manufacture or later?

I like it, and am trying to acquire the wakizashi it is on.

Regards,

Brian

Edited to add: Stephen, I think you are right, which would mean it was added when manufactured. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..