Nbthk – Eb Meeting Bonn – Special Kodogu Meeting – August 29Th 2015

The meeting was well attended with around 20 members. It started off with a sublime explanation by Prof. Kremers in both German and English (which was well received by us foreigners, although most of us understand German to a certain extent). They were arranged by age and as such provided a logical and easy to follow structure. Prof. Eckhard explained using examples how these tsuba followed function over the different periods in time and how some schools like Kyo-Sukashi didn’t. All the usual suspects for sukashi tsuba were there: Ko-Tosho, Ko-Katchushi, Kyo-Sukashi, Kanayama, Owari, Akasaka,…. Even a Kamakurabori tsuba that was relevant to the story. There were over 50 very fine examples. On top of that we were priviledged to see a Juyo Tensho Koshirae, published in various books (eg. Selected Fine Japanese Swords from European N.B.T.H.K. Collections by NBTHK EB and the Solingen Museum).  Besides sukashi tsuba, there were also very fine Ko-Kinko works present. A few of which you never would have guessed were KoKinko, but rather late Kinko due to their immaculate state and elaborate details, quite impressive.

After the tsuba part, there was also an interesting presentation by Mr Supper about gold mining during the Tokugawa period and these kind of circumstantial items do provide us with a better understanding of the importance and availability of gold during that time, which of course reflects in the production of kodogu in that period.

post-355-0-65527700-1441306503_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-27402600-1441306524_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

It was indeed a fantastic meeting! The presented selection of tsuba was superb and our German colleagues were very welcoming, eager to share knowledge and advice. Even though I was most impressed by the 'old iron' part of the meeting, I agree that Ko-Kinko pieces were incredible.

Regards,

Stan

post-248-0-61399500-1441315971_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-89689200-1441315983_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-65902200-1441315995_thumb.jpg

post-248-0-28732800-1441316004_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not sure if I could count as a senior member (older yes but senior no) I was pleasantly surprised to see a good number of people in Bonn and in images from the Swedish meeting that included a lot of members in their 30s and early 40s (I think) This is hugely encouraging. Likewise when I attended the Token of GB meeting earlier this year there was ao good mix. It is true that the majority of input is as you might expect coming from the longer serving members but the newer people are by no means inactive. I am greatly encouraged regarding the future of the subject in Europe but we still need to build membership in under represented countries in Europe and encourage younger enthusiasts to take part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..