NMB 2007 RAFFLE:- PRIZES REQUEST

Hi all,

As we approach yet another year end, I am once again hoping to have a Nihonto Message Board year-end raffle.

Last year we had a generous donation by Alf Tan of a tsuba, and thanks to the funds raised, we were all able to enjoy more bandwidth, upload space and a free forum.

As you all know, the NMB is offered free of charge with no paid advertising, and we hope to keep it that way. With all the helpful info and assistance provide by the members here (I hate to name names, as I am guaranteed to miss a few and offend, but we all know how much help we get here from these guys) I feel that the info provided is unique and valuable. Where else can you be warned about a fraudulent auction within minutes of it being listed, get a difficult translation within hours, learn photography tips or take a previously unknown "Nobuhira" tanto from auction to papers to publishing? Discussions give ideas for new articles, which end up in official newsletters. People ask for advice before buying something, and are therefore better informed before the sale.

Fakes are identified, gimei are analysed, and drooling over nice new finds is encouraged.

Many of us have used the free "For Sale" section to either advertise our goods or sales, or pick up good deals. Dealers are able to advertise when they have new items, and con-artists are identified and "outed"

And all of this for the cost of an internet connection.

With this of all in mind, the raffle is the one way I have to raise some funds to cover the daily expenses of the board. These include the hosting plan, web access and phone bills (Yep, I am sadly still on dial up) Tickets are only $10 each, and everyone who enters stands an equal chance.

Those who enter have my sincere thanks for the support.

In order to make this all worthwhile though, we need prizes. The more prizes the better :)

This year I hope to make it even more enticing to enter. I am already sponsoring a book and a membership to either the JSSUS or NCJSC

(If there are representatives of either of these on board, please could you contact me, as I wish to work out the details of paying for a membership for the winner)

What we need is donations of prizes that we can offer. These can be in the form of Nihonto books, tsuba, fuchi, kashira, menuki, kozuka, kogatana....etc etc. Anything of interest to a Nihonto collector.

Many of us have the odd fitting lying around that we can part with, or 2 copies of a book on the subject. Maybe you do restoration and would like to offer a tsuka rewap, or have something else that you don't need anymore. Look around your sword room and see what you have forgotten about that you won't miss too much.

Offers are not expected, but are very much appreciated. I would like to make this a memorable raffle, with nice prizes to encourage even the most advanced collector to have a go.

Shipping to the winners can be paid for by the NMB, or sponsored. They can be sent here first or directly to the winners. Whatever works for you.

I am trying to avoid any repros or really bad fittings that are not of interest to real collectors. Doesn't have to be top class stuff, just reasonable items that will enhance the raffle. I would love to have a nice 1st place prize if anyone has anything in mind. Milt...you are in charge of contacting old "Po-Edo" since he gets so much advertising here :D (joking)

I have had some offers mentioned by generous members earlier this year, but do not want to take anything for granted, so will allow anyone who has anything to offer to contact me to sort out the details.

I would like to start the raffle at the end of October, and the prizes will be drawn on the 1st January 2008.

I hate asking for anything, but in order for this to be a success I am forced to make this appeal.

I thank everyone in advance for any offers, and if you can't donate..then make sure you pick up some tickets when the raffle begins.

Regards,

Brian Robinson

Hello Brian

I have an as new copy of 'Yasukuni Swords' by Tom Kishida which you can add to your prize list - I will stand the postage worldwide (surface) to the winner . Let me know if you want a picture posting or if you can get one from another source .

Regards

Hi Brian,

As already mentioned, I have a few Items I could spare, Tsubas (Heianjon, Namban...).

If you want I can PM you the pictures (once I have scanned them :D )

I'll deal with posting fees (I'm even ready to pay for the handling part) :lol:

BTW, what is Surface Postage? I am not sure that submarine postage is available from France :lol: :lol:

Jean,

You are a gentleman :)

Thanks, that will definitely make this a worthwhile raffle.

Surface is by ship..as by submarine would have to be sub-surface :lol:

Thanks folks..keep them comming. The more prizes, the more prize winners.

Brian

Hello Brian,

Being one very happy member who has learnt very much from the NMB I will gladly give 3 books for the raffle to be given as a single prize or 3 individual prizes.

These would be books #1; #2 & #5 from my web site:

http://www.gill.telmat-net.fr/

I will also offer air-mail anywhere (even to Switzerland [lol]).

Paul.

PS: French humour on a Monday morning is terrible !!

Hi Paul,

I have a built in excuse (in fact two), Saturday I was at a wedding party till early sunday morning and last night I was at the Stade de France for the rugby match Argentina/Scotland.

Still this morning, I am not sure I have gotten rid of all the bottlles drank over the WE - I spare you the details and above all the quantities :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Yes I know what it takes to run one of these boards so I am more than happy to make some donations to the forum.

1: Japanese Swords of the Bizen Tradition. Soft back bound (not spiral edition). I bought two of these so I am happy to pass one on.

2: A video from the Sano art Museum on a Masamune exhibition. This is in Japanese and is NTSC. Running time is approximately 15 minutes. I believe this was released with the exhibition, "Masamune: A Genius Swordsmith and His Lineage" and is hard to come by these days.

Note: I just need to check the video before confirming availablility. I would hate to supply a dud tape.

I will see what else I can dig up.

Rich

I will see what else I can find.

post-5-14196741413376_thumb.jpg

Rich,

Wonderful prizes :)

I was really hoping to have one of Darcy's books, but a friend "permanently loaned" my spare..lol. Fantastic to have a copy as a prize. I bet the video is also unique and will have the winner drooling over the items shown.

Much appreciated!

Brian

was wondering wat happened to the raffle..........my big tosho tsuba is still available to a new home........nothing real fancy, big and heavy, edo period.

Will send pics later.........this vista stuff is hard to down size the pic file acceptable to the message bd.

Brian, can you set a program that can autimatically downsize it ? ( like e-snip, they give you a choice as to send full size or down sized )

milt the ronin

Milt,

A huge thanks to you too, you are a man of your word :) With the other prizes we have a very nice selection of items up for raffle. I will put up the raffle page at the end of October with all the pics and open the ticket buying. We now have 4 tsuba up for grabs along with the rest of the items.

Milt, you can email me the pics of the tsuba to add to the raffle page. Afraid there isn't a way to resize automatically in phpBB, but I am looking at other options. Does anyone have an easy way to resize in XP? I am still on 98 :oops:

Keep the prizes comming folks, the more the better. I hope to attract ppl from outside the forum too. It will be open to lurkers too..not just members. Who has a kozuka or yanone or ...?

Also still looking for anyone involved high up in the JSSUS or NCJSC to arrange for the sponsored membership paid by the NMB.

You all have my sincere gratitude :)

Regards,

Brian

Thierry,

Another very fine book!

This one has some great photographs and descriptions. Very nice item too.

The French are really outdoing everyone in the prizes this year. Thierry, Jean and Paul. Almost makes me wish them to beat us in the comming rugby. Almost.... :D

Merci beaucoup!

Brian

Thierry,

Almost makes me wish them to beat us in the comming rugby. Almost.... :D

Brian

You guys are playing Argentina, Bri....

Les Blues have to get past their greatest foe... Le Roast Beef....

Should be an England - Argentina final then... right??

Cheers and Swing Low!

Nah, I had already counted out the various semi-finals, and gone straight to a SA vs France final :D

Time will tell. Been some definite surprises this year :lol:

Ok...we return you to our regular Nihonto programming :wink:

Brian

this vista stuff is hard to down size the pic file acceptable to the message bd.

Brian, can you set a program that can autimatically downsize it ? ( like e-snip, they give you a choice as to send full size or down sized )

milt the ronin

Mate, download and use XnView http://www.xnview.com/

It's the poor mans Photoshop and does all you need to do (resize, rotate, crop, adjust colour etc etc) and it's free and easy to use :-)

cheers

Richard (no I don''t own shares) Turner

I will also add the VHS Video, Token No Tosogu no Bi or the Beauty of Swords and Fittings by the NBTHK. This one I know works and is in great condition. Also in Japanese and NTSC, it shows the proper etiquette of sword and fittings handling. The following is from Sanmei.

1.Outline of Japanese sword and fitting

2.Japanese sword for beginners'

3.Sword fittings for beginners'

NBTHK/Nihon Token Shogyo Kumiai

Photo by Okisato Fujishiro

(NTSC) 40min

video_touken_tousougu.jpg

I will also throw in shipping on all my items. And yes, the Australia Post also have submarines, though not very good ones. They can travel for a mile, but then have to come up for a breath.

Rich

Brian,

I'd like to donate two books to the effort.

The first is from Keith and I at Modern Tosho. The Art of the Japanese Sword, As Taught by the Experts By Kawachi Kunihira and Masao Manabe. A nice introductory book signed by Kunihira-san himself and a poem brushed by him. Excellent photography with good basic information in Q and A formats. Also some fun facts and storys. Soft bound with cover, 156 pages, color and black and white.

The second from Legacy Arts (...me) is Yoshindo Yoshihara and The Yoshihara Tradition By Leon Kapp and Aram Compeau. This catalog was available during an exhibition of the Yoshihara swordsmiths at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena, California a couple years ago. It is wonderfully illustrated and dives into the history and lineage of the Yoshihara forge as well as the Tosu related art his daughter creates. Very nice photography and brief biographies of several of the smiths and also some collectors. Soft bound, 72 pages, color and black and white.

Postage will be prepaid to the winners of them.

Good luck to everyone!

post-44-14196741447176_thumb.jpg

post-44-14196741449132_thumb.jpg

post-44-14196741452226_thumb.jpg

finally figured out how to downsize pic from window vista und AOL.........

see if this work.

My contibution to the raffle.

A big tosho tsuba, I feel it's slightly overcleaned ( not by me )......edo period.

9 cm x 8.3 cm x 0.4 cm

milt the ronin

post-18-14196741454932_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196741456443_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196741457342_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196741458326_thumb.jpg

I scanned three tsuba this morning that will go into the raffle - free shipping -

Heianjo : 7,5 x 7,5 (good/very good)

Namban : 7 x 7,3 (medium - just dont like Namban - :lol: )

Sukashi : 6 x 6,3 - (I'm not sure if it is the right term) splendid smooth iron

Ura.jpg

Omote.jpg

Ted, Keith and Rich,

Thanks for the new prizes. The response has been amazing..I hope you forum guys buying tickets are as willing as these prizegivers have been :)

Those 2 books are great, and I am jealous over whoever wins the videos from Rich..lol. (I guess I can't enter the raffle myself..hahaha)

Nice tsuba from Jean and Milt too.

I am very lucky to have members like we do have here on the NMB. :thumbsup:

Brian

Hello et bonjour, Although I do not have anything to offer to the raffle(I am still in the book buying phase of my education), I would be more than willing to participate when it come to buying chances. I have found this board to be invaluable when it comes to answering my questions and would like to see it continue. Please let me know how and when to buy tickets, I really want to help. Regards Scott

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..