Shinsakuto, Kanehiro Kimura, Utsushi Kiyomura, Completed 9/17/2014, Fs.

c2tcardin

Shinsakuto for sale. I purchased this blade last October (2014) from eSword Japan mainly to see what it was like to import a real Shinsakuto from Japan. I highly recommend using them as they made it quite easy. Since I have no plans to have this blade mounted and the funds would be better served going to my new house that is being built I'm going to offer it up for sale. The blade is perfect, I've only had it out of the saya to wipe it down and apply Choji oil, I do not use Uchiko powder on new blades so this has never been dusted, why would you? 

Here are some of the details I made notes on during the whole process. 
Smith name: Kanehiro or Kimura Kanehiro
Signature (Mei): higo koku yatsushiro ju akamatsu taro kanehiro utsushi Kiyomaro, used homemade iron
Translation: 
“Higo koku” is the County in Kumamoto Prefecture on Kyushu Island
“Yatsushiro” is the City
“Akamatsu Taro” is the name of a mountain pass in southern Yatsushiro
“Kanehiro” Kaoru Kimura’s smith name
“Utsushi Kiyomaro” in the style of Minamoto Kiyomaro (from around 1840’s)
*He is the third son of Kaneshige Kimura from the Kumamoto Prefecture
*From 1985 he has won 5 Nyusen-sho 
*The Kimura family (Token) smelt their own Tamahagane from Satetsu (iron sands) collected from rivers in Kumamoto on the island of Kyushu.
*The Kimura Token tends to work in mostly the Bizen and Soshu schools of influence.
Purchase details:
Bought from e-sword.jp
Ordered 10/28/2014, paid 10/29/2014
Antique Export Inspection Proof arrived from the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs (JACA) on 11/17/2014.
Shipped to me via EMS on 11/18/2014
Arrived: 11/24/2014, pretty well boxed but sadly the saya glue came undone from the koiguchi down about 1/3rd the length. No damage to the wood and a very easy repair, currently I have velcro straps securing it. 

This is actually the smiths address.
Address:
1580 Ono-machi, Futami-shimo
Yatsushiro-shi, Kumamoto-ken
869-5174
0965-38-9239
Kyushu, Japan

Found in the Membership List of All Japan Sword Smith Association

Blade:
Completed: 9/17/2014
Shape: o-gissaki (large point), shinogi zukuri (blade with longitudinal ridge and traverse ridge), iori-mune (triangular back ridge).
Texture jitetsu (color and pattern) and kitae: itame hada (wood grain), nie (white crystals) yokutsuku.
Temper pattern hamon: gunome (waves) midare (irregular) nie yokutsuki asi nagakuhairu.
Point: midare konde saki komarunikaeru.
Blade length: nagasa: 76.6cm / 30”
Curvature: sori: 1.8cm 
Width at hamachi: moto haba: 3.75cm / 1.47”
Thickness at moto kasane .72cm / .28”
Weight: 1045g

Point temper style: boshi: midare komi (irregular wavy)
Blade back: mune: Ihori (two sided, pyramid shaped) 

Tang length: nakago: sorry I never bothered to measure the nakago, I would be happy to get a measurement on it if requested.
Tang shape: futsu: Normal
Tang tip: kurijiri: Rounded
Tang file marks: yasurime: Sujikai (45 degree angle)

Habaki: Solid Silver with nice file marks.

I'll ship the sword in the original box it arrived in from Japan along with the purple sword bag overnight and insured to anyone in the US only please no international sales as I really don't need the headaches shipping overseas. 
Asking price is firm at $6000.00 USD
Not interested in trades or deals at this time as on the $6000 I'm going to likely eat close to $500 of the sale price in Paypal fees and the overnight shipping and insurance.

Thanks for looking Jeff.
*note*
The really nice quality pictures of the blade were from eSwords.jp and the powerpoint slides are from Malcolm Cox (http://www.users.on.net/~coxm/?page=Kimura) he visited the smiths and documented his visit. The information on the slide showing a Utsushi Kiyomaro blade is one made in 2013 and is not the blade for sale here though they are almost identical.

Kaoru%20Kimura1.jpg
Kaoru%20Kimura.jpg

slide48.jpgslide42.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0411_1.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
This final shot is to show the opening in the saya that as I stated can be easily fixed if you know how to make rice glue. 
IMG_0397.jpg
  • Like 3

Hi Jeff,

There is a better than velcro temporary fix for the saya.  Cut a strip of paper about 1" wide and long enough to circle the saya one and a half times.  Wrap this tightly around the saya about 8 to 12" below where you want it to end up.  Tightly wrap the paper 1.5 Xs with masking tape.  Place the saya mouth down on a table and force the paper/tape down towards the mouth.  Saya are largest at the mouth end so as the paper/tape moves towards the mouth it will get very tight and do an excellent job of securing the split.  Perfectly reversible and will leave no trace when the time comes for the real fix, since the tape didn't touch the wood.  Same trick works on tsuka.

I do this everytime I ship a blade in shirasaya even if there isn't a split, to guard against damage in transit.

Sorry for the hijack; back to the sale of your excellent blade.

Grey

Thanks Grey, I've heard that trick before and may end up doing it, I did check after doing the velcro trick to make sure it wasn't damaging or discoloring the wood, which it hasn't but I like your idea better. 

Thanks Brian, and yeah I've priced it at basically what I paid for it factoring in fees and shipping. So it's a nice opportunity to get a stunning blade with out the wait.

Very nice blade indeed, but a little rust is already forming just above the habaki. Please take care of the rust before it gets worse (and it will if left untreated).

Regards,

Hoanh

Thanks Hoanh, it's actually little droplets of oil, I didn't wipe the blade after sliding the habaki off. 

• 9 months later...

I'll have to find out what's going on with my email but if it's from 2007 when I first joined it's way out of date! LOL

As for the blade she's all boxed up and ready for her flight tomorrow. Thanks Mike for a really smooth transaction, well with the exception of the PayPal security team delaying things for 24 hours. I'm glad she's made it on her way to you there almost seems to be good karma in this whole course of events. I actually have a fully mounted one on the way from the same smith, should hopefully be here by the end of July.

Mike I hope you do have a mounting done for it I'm sure it will look spectacular!

Cheers, Jeff

Oh and almost forgot...SOLD!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..