Wakizashi , Please Help.

milano

Hi all,

my name's Marco, i'm from Milan Italy, new to this forum i'd like to understand something more

about my sword.

Please note, i'm a begginner i have some differents base text, but at the moment  i can't put hamon

near some schools or provinces.

So my question is, could someone put me on the right way?

Any help will be appreciated and please forgive my English

Some (probably wrong) personal consideration:

The blade is tired and show some hada ware and a 4mm. fukure yabure across nioi guchi, kissaki looks like bad reshaped probably a broken tip.

Reading the Nagayama, nagasa and sugata make me think shinto era about 1600 or a bit later. The hamon is midare-ba and it's rather different on the both side. One side starts togari gunome while the end is a kind of gunome choji the other side shows a different mix of gunome choji elements. The boshi too is quite differents on both side.

Aren't these Sue Seki features?

I am rather confused!

Hamon seems nioi deki, with ashi, yo, a pair of litlle kinsuji and a very little ko nie near ha machi zone.

measures:

Nagasa:  40,7 cm.

Sori:        0,8 cm.

Nakago:  10,8 cm. (nakago shows 1,5 cm machi okuri)

Moto haba: 2,7 cm.

Saki haba:  2,0 cm.

Moto kasane: 0,64 cm.

Saki kasane: 0,45 cm.

Kissaki: 2,9 cm.

Yasuri me: gyaku takanoha

Hada: seems itame and masame in the shinogi-ji

Thank you

Marco C.

post-3366-0-82051400-1440079197_thumb.jpg

post-3366-0-11277800-1440079202_thumb.jpg

post-3366-0-75267900-1440079205_thumb.jpg

post-3366-0-81454900-1440079209_thumb.jpg

post-3366-0-02412700-1440079486_thumb.jpg

Hi Marcos,

It's hard to tell anything remotely definitive from the pictures, but it's quite a nice sword.  My observations:

1. Yes, most likely shinto.

2. Very nice hada and hataraki, no in-your-face coarse nie. It doesn't look Sue Seki to me. It looks to be much better work than Sue Seki.

3. The kissaki and boshi look OK to me. I can see the full turn-back on the (healthy) boshi, so there is no worry there.

4. I don't see evidence of shintetsu showing (as far as the pictures show), so I am inclined to say it's not tired. On the contrary, it looks to be quite healthy to me, but I am wrong more often than not...

Nice sword!

Regards,

Hoanh 

I also dont see any obvious signs of tiredness. hada looks healthy and from the images I think there is a lot of nie running through the hamon. Also cant tell much from the images but the size of the nie might suggest shinto Satsuma smiths as a place to start

Many thanks for the fast replies,

@ dig 1982, just send a pm.

@ paulb.  the shinogi-ji shows a very coarse masame to me and there is a lamination ware in the middle of the blade. Looking at the blade whit my untrained  eyes, i can't see many nie activity, but  probably i'm  wrong. I'll restart my research in satsuma.

@hxw, boshi could be ok but fukura doesn't follow ko shinogi, to me.

which kind of pics. are better to discover more?

Many many thanks

Marco C.

I could also be miss-seeing. The comment regarding nie was based on the bottom image in the second picture where the light is shining directly on the steel there looks to be spots of dark ara-nie showing. Might be illusion or just my eyes.

I see what you mean about the masame in the shinogi-ji but I dont think it looks too bad. However it does support the shnto attribution. Something else to look at would be very late Bizen work with the crab-claw like hamon shape.

Welcome to the forum, Marco, & to the many interpretations of who made what, when.

A couple of things to clarify.  First, please don't use the shinogi-ji to try to determine much of anything.  That area is almost always burnished to the point where you can't see much at all.

Second, togari usually indicate the blade is Mino, but that's not what I'm seeing for the rest of the hataraki.

Please provide a good shot of just the whole bare blade, as sugata is the very first thing you should look for.  I can't really tell much from the compressed shot you provided.

I wouldn't worry about the blade being "tired."  No sign of any major shintetsu, kissaki is in good shape, & fairly clear boshi.  Please take some shots of the bare blade to show the nakago in more detail. Are there yakidashi?  Trying to follow a book, even Nagayama, at your stage, is bound to be confusing.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..