Nihon No Bi: Nihonto (The Japanese Sword)

Interest in orders of Nihon No Bi  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How many copies would you purchase?

• 6+

Damn Elvis seems to be everywhere, I could almost swear I saw him few weeks ago in Tampere...

On more serious note I was wondering how complicated the group ordering will be? As I was just browsing around the CD Japan that Dirk linked earlier and it can be ordered through there quite easily, and with already very reasonable shipping costs.

• Like 1

Today was the final round of proof reading at the publishers for the book. The photos of the swords are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are excellent, and some are not so good. Not all are full size, although many are! Some are certain sections of the blade in question blown up to full size. Although, there are quite a number of full sized blades on pullout pages with the full length koshirae below (see pic). The pics of the fittings are pretty amazing. tsuba the size of small to medium sized dishes, and menuki, etc, blown up to 300%. There has been some creative editing due to space where the translation was too long, so some (not so exciting) information has been edited out. And some of the fittings translations have been cut to just the basic information. 

I still think it is a must for anyones sword book collection. 

Peter, The sword book boom is mostly different publishers regurgitating similar introduction to Japanese sword magazines, generally using the same meito and various modern craftsmen. However, in recent years I have seen a couple of paperback meikan (Shinkai, Kiyomaro), be republished and on major book retailers shelves.

A little taster from the forthcoming book, Nihonto no Bi: Nihonto (The Japanese Sword). This is one of the promotional posters. The book has many pullout pages like this one.
Apparently it will be available from here:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1829538

post-198-0-26792900-1440598212_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul,

Aside from the nice pictures, would you consider the actual info to be on the novice level, or is there some info for the mid level and advanced collectors?

Does it go into any detail, or mainly cover existing high level swords pictorially?

Again it varies a little from sword to sword, Mostly blade and koshirae descriptions with historical background, how it got its moniker, who the previous owners were, etc. There is a whole glossary section with great diagrams of different kinds of tachi koshirae, katana koshirae, and the general info with pic/diagrams for hamon, hada, activities, hi, etc, etc. Lots of National Treasures, Juyo Bunkazai and other swords and fittings. It is not a Kantei book, It is as you pretty much said a huge pictorial book with lots of famous swords in lots of detail with their explanations. 

• Like 2

Forgive me if I missed something but is it a full translation or just partial ?

I just checked Amazon.jp and it said there is some easy English translation but not all.

I also checked the second link and it said some English and then it said sorry but all our books are only available in nihongo.

Id just like to know in advance what to expect,will it be kanji and kana with a little English or English with a little kanji and kana ? That said, I agree with Paul though at that price you can't go wrong.

I translated most if not all the sword explanations, but then due to lack of space I had to edit some down to fit the allocated space. The fittings explanations were cut down to just the titles as far as I know. But all the terminology, and diagrams are fully translated I believe. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..