Very long nakago

Dear All,

could you have a look at this sword here, please:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMURAI-Katana-swor ... dZViewItem

Is the nakago "real" or has it been produced to remove some flaw of the blade? The sword looks like a nagamaki, but the shinogi zukuri does not fit this weapon.

BTW, I have recently posted a request here to have the origami for this sword kindly transalated. How stupid of me I haven't put my question clear... Sorry for posting another thread. Brian, feel free to remove it (once you do it I will know that the answer is: of course it is a nakago someone has tampered with :-)

Best regards

I think that the Kunitsugu was originally made as a katana and its machi was moved but its nakago was not shortened.

In the attached photo;

Left: Kunitsugu in question

Right: a Kunishige (same Mizuta School) for your reference

Ref. http://www.touken-sato.com/web-gallery/ ... ohyogo.htm

Koichi,

thank you, this was valuable reference. I understand that the machi has been moved up, possibly to remove a flaw like hagire, but it is still very strange that the nakago has NOT been shortened to convert the katana into a wakizashi. Who would want to carry a wakizashi with such a long tsuka?

Best regards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..