Ww2 Blade Unsigned And Unstamped?

Salvatori Moretto

I apologize in advance if this was not the correct forum to post this in!

I have a blade that is just being finished at my polishers. He has informed me that he feels it is traditionally made and well made at that. Blade also has a well executed bo-hi carved and a very nice hamon he says (yes I will be posting updated pictures as soon as it arrives with polish :D) My question is how often and why would a blade like this come to be? I uploaded the only pictures I still have of the blade. Were there many smiths during the war who made blades with bo-hi? Or should I be thinking this is pre war?

Thanks for any and all help, I'll post more pics in just a few days when the blade is back in hand

Sal'

post-3341-0-48411200-1438554866_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-51206600-1438554899_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-71786500-1438554970_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look pre-war, but I suppose it's possible. Many smiths made blades with bohi. Who is polishing it? They should know many smiths and schools as there training is 8 yrs (if memory serves) before they are licensed and allowed to set up their own practice. They should be well schooled in many eras, though most will specialize.

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking the nakago looks about ww2 patina wise. Not sure if maybe it was just a few years before though. My polisher likes to be anonymous :) I don't know why as he has some of the best work I have ever seen :D He says he will have more to tell me tomorrow but I thought I would get a general consensus from people here as well.

Hi Salvatori.

The condition of the nakago is always dependent on how the sword has been looked after to an extent.  I fell it is quite likely that the sword may be Meiji or Taisho as the finish and patina are commensurate with a Taisho blade that I have.  Even shinshinto may have very clean nakago, have a look at this one on Ed's site, http://yakiba.com/Kat_Nobuhide_Takahashi.htm I am NOT suggesting that your sword is by this smith, simply noting that the condition of the nakago leaves quite a bit of room for yours to be pre war.

Looking forward to seeing some images of the polished blade.

All the best.

To answer the original question, I was under the impression that mumei Gendaito with hi are, (whilst not the most common of all Gendai swords,) still found occasionally, and it would not be far fetched to be a mumei Gendaito. Either that or late Shinshinto.

Brian

Here is another quark of this blade. My polisher today says yes to it definitely being Japanese made, but he says the grain does not look like anything he has seen, he thinks maybe it was a smiths experimentation with an alloy steel to see what he could get with different steel. Can't wait to show pictures, should have it in hand by this weeks end.

Thanks again for all the input!

Sal

Ahhhh Wally Hostetter I presume you're talking about? I have used him for cutting polishes on a few of my blades, he's a great guy to work with and never hesitates to take time out of his day to explain different things which is rare in this day :) Dare I say he's becoming a good friend. I use his polisher for my more expensive blades.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..