No replies to this topic

#1 Yoshimichi

Yoshimichi

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

Dear Members:

I found this Kyu gunto wakizashi this weekend in a pawn shop in Crescent City, CA. I am having trouble translating the last kanji in the smith's name (sada, yoshi, waka, fusa?), and I can only translate about two characters on the opposite side of the nakago. I think two of the characters on that side are "I" and "Shige." I am not sure if this is an owner's name, more information about the smith or his town, or some invocation of some sort.

I think the mei side says "One luck day in February, in the second year of Man-en (1860), Suke ____(?) made this." I presume the year is 1861 or 1862. I would greatly appreciate any help in confirming if I am correct in what I have been able to translate so far, and what the smith's name actually is: Suke ______(?), and any information on this smith. At first I thought maybe "Sukeyoshi," but the mei does not really match the one pictured in Fujishiro, so maybe gimei, or a bad translation on my part. I have attached some photos of the mei and handle. Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)   

Attached Thumbnails

• P1050850.JPG
  • P1050849.JPG
  • P1050851.JPG
  • P1050848.JPG
  • P1050857.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wakizashi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq