tsuba

sencho

I really do not know much about Tosogu, but here is a tsuba I saw the other day (it is not mine) that I thought I would share...

Some may recognize it as it is on public display, but this is the kind of piece that I really like (floats my yacht, so to speak, the more solid style of construction). I also like the full bodied Hamano style too.

I also took a picture of the description card with it, but I will leave this off for now so the newbie tosogu crowd can have a go at identification...

cheers

post-7-141967410915_thumb.jpg

Hi Sencho

Very nice tsuba. It looks like the one from Nihonto Koza vol. 6 page XVIII and is listed as Ko Shoami Momoyama period and has a two commma design (futatsu tomoe).

Here is a link to one of mine of a similar pattern and a bit of info on the design. Makes me think of the mitsu domoe design you asked about long ago.

http://nkp.itconsultants.com.au/forum/f ... 1&msgid=80

It is a design that I like very much and I have another that looks very similar to yours that I have not photoed yet. When I do I will posted. By the way it is very possible that at rims of the futatsu tomoe were inlayed with gold too

Yes I agree Pete,

I think it is spectacular...

Henry,

Yes it is great.... not mine though Henry (although I think you mean a more generic "yours" in your post!)

Unfortunately I do not have Nihonto Koza.... but if you ever feel you need to sell me more books, I'll meet you at Shinagawa again and this time we'll have a few beers!!

I'll post the details of this one tomorrow

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel

The :beer: sounds good. However I have no books for sale at the mo... Where did you see the tsuba in question? Was it in Tokyo? If so I would love the details so I can go for a look my self.

The Yamakichibei at the top of the link is also in the Nihonto Koza and I went for a peek but it is away for shinsa.

http://www.ginzaseikodo.com/fittings.html

Hey Henry,

I had a few hours between meetings so I dove into the Tokyo National Museum.... Ueno Station... that is where I saw the tsuba... amongst many other pieces this one was a real stand out for me...

Here is the description card that was with it...

Cheers!

post-7-14196741166876_thumb.jpg

Henry... it was about 3 weeks ago (after paying my respects to Saigo san) I was in there... this was in the fittings cases on the ground floor... there was some blades on display there too.... if I remember rightly, in the main entrance and turn left.... in the first hall... however my mind wasn't on the directions too much!!

There were some more blades and armor on the second floor too...

Ichi... thanks for the link...

Cheers

Actually Henry, by this map

http://www.tnm.jp/en/guide/map/honkan.html

You can see swords and sword fittings on the 1F... totally different position to what I said, which is not suprising...

on the 2F there is National Treasures with some more swords, etc... either there or "attire of the military elite"

Cheers

That is strange! I went on the 21st which was a very hot and humid day and I am sure it was not there as I went with the intention of seeing the tsuba. I saw a Nobuie and a Kano Natsuo amonst other things in room 13 after the the plates and urushi.... Either that or I am losing my marbles....

Does anyone know how often they change the displays inthe National museum?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..