Is This A Genuine Kabuto?

oli4_182

Hello everyone,

As I said in my introduction here are the pictures from my kabuto.
And I would like to know you're thoughts about it, if it's genuine or a replica, fake or movie-prop from in the 1930's perhaps and if it's from the edo-period.

I bought it on a European auctionsite, it was advertised as a rare middle-late Edo-period Kabuto.
The estimated price was €300-€500, that's about $340-$560.

Somewhere i have some doubts because i'm new to this and of the damage, the green color doesn't seem really old to me.

Thanks!

IMG_9631_zpspmnhz24v.jpg

IMG_9632_zpsrygaefzr.jpg

IMG_9633_zps7irtajqa.jpg

IMG_9634_zpsmdyp6we1.jpg

IMG_9635_zpsmxxssj9d.jpg

IMG_9636_zpsmwd78osl.jpg

IMG_9637_zpsesxd9qsh.jpg

IMG_9638_zps5z4dy6gn.jpg

Judging by the appearance of the inside, and the way that the plates are shaped, I think it is possible that it is a real zunari kabuto but not a very good one. What is not right is the 'lacquer'. This poor old helmet looks as if has been done over with car-filler (the white material) and painted black. Originally the lacquerer would have used kokuso to corrected the slightly misaligned top and it probably looked quite reasonable when finished. I am a bit suspicious of the tsunamoto that held the front crest, it is a bit small but it might be real.

Ian Bottomley

About 8 years ago, I saw a similar Zunari with the same green ground here in the U.K..

It was suggested that the green was a filler often used in the car restoration trade.

It was further suggested that the source of manufacture was close to Kent/Essex by way of the Dartford Tunnel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..