New Acquisition Late Edo Period Tanto

Hi everyone. My first thread and I wanted to share this. I recently started collecting nihontos and I'd like to share my very small collection.  Open to comments or info.  I have a lot to learn and would greatly appreciate any info you have.  THANKS

Here is the write-up by AoiJapan:

Tanto in Koshirae.
Signature : Mumei (ShinShin To)
The blade was polished.
Blade length : 22.8 cm or 8.97 inches.
Sori : 0.1 cm or 0.03 inches.
Mekugi : 1
Width at the hamachi : 2.54 cm or 1 inches.
Kasane : 0.59 cm or 0.23 inches.
Era : Late Edo period.
Shape : Regular size Tanto.
Jitetsu : Itame Hada well grained with Jinie attach. The hada pattern is well seen.
Hamon : Nie Deki Gunome Midare. Boshi is Hakikake style.
Special feature : This blade was made using old iron of Koto period during the Edo period.
Koshirae : Black color Aikuchi Koshirae with family crest.
Aoi Art estimation paper : whole Oshigata.

My pictures:

Img_0150.jpg

Img_0153.jpg

Img_0155.jpg

Img_0156.jpg

AOIJAOPAN's pics:

15234koshirae-1.jpg

15234oshigata.jpg

Henry

Congratulations if this is your first purchase you have done far better than many of us did in the past. You have purchased a sword in good polish with all detail visible from a well known and generally respected dealer.

I certainly cant add much to his description, it looks to be exactly what he describes it as. The koshirae look to be fairly late (opinion based on feeling rather than anything else) but again reasonable quality.

The hakikaki boshi as seen in the oshigata is particularly nice to see.This in combination with the gunome hamon may be an attempt to simulate late Yamato or early Mino work.

Well done.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Henry,

No comment on the package which is very nice indeed. Just one thing, always display the bare blade edge up for fear of damaging it and to preserve the polish put acloth on the kake to avoid friction :)

Thanks everyone for your comments and any info is greatly appreciated.  I will be googling the new info to understand more about this tanto.  This just inspires me to learn more and to focus on the specific item. Bruno - thanks a mil' for the link.

This tanto one of four antiques I have acquired this year.  I'll post pics of the others soon when I find the time.  THANKS AGAIN!

Jean - you are absolutely right.  The deer antlers is tough/hard stuff.  But in this case the blade has no edge (I think that's a bit odd); it's dull like a butter knife (not kidding).  I will use a cloth to avoid scratching the sides of the blade.  Newbie mistake.

Henry, you can glue a small piece of white felt to the inside of the antlers to protect both blade & koshirae; pretty easy to do, & it won't spoil the nice look of your kake.

Good start on the tanto, but now please spend the next $100 buying reference books so you will begin to understand what you have...& what you'll look to buy in the future.

Aloha!

Ken

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..