Yamajiro

Toryu2020

Folks -

Here is a question for you - attached is an image from an early Showa oil on silk kakejiku, a recent find. The question being is this Inuyama? Iwakuni? or some other castle. Any thoughts entertained, thank you

-t

post-287-0-32958200-1433860023_thumb.jpg

I have distant family at Inuyama, who I failed to visit last October. Only thing I didn't get to do on that trip.

I can certainly see why you would think Inuyama. I looked at it for a while, and don't think it is Inuyama.

However, not sure. Old photos evidence some add on to its modern form and old maps might situate the structures to the right as previously existing at Inuyama?

http://ml.inuyama.gr.jp/en/history-en

Thanks Gentlemen -

Malx - in all the images we see of Inuyama the donjon is at the peak of the hill and none of the maps I have seen suggest major stuctures above and behind it as Campbell suggests.

Junichi - maybe but it lacks the long walls and the robust donjon of Matsuyama, even if its artistic license I think a painter would want to include those distinctive walls. While the second story appears to have a karahafu on the second story in the picture, so do both Matsuyama and Inuyama. Inuyama is tall and thin looking while Matsuyama blockier.

I dont know the answer either, I am leaning toward Inuyama but I am hoping for a definitive image from somewhere to settle it.

-t

Probably more trees in the area the further back you go.  Regarding the walls, perhaps they were left out intentionally, as the castle doesn't appear to be the focus of the full image.  would fit the kano school style of landscape painting....?

http://www.seejapan.co.uk/Libraries/Images/Matsuyama_castle_in_Japan.sflb.ashx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..