Tsuba, fuchi kushira on Kanefusa Gendaito Katana

drbvac

The signature shown in Kinko Meikan does not correspond to that on the fuchi-gashira. Neither does that illustrated on D1101, #76, in the Bauer catalogue. Clearly there were more than the single artist of that name, and using those kanji, referred to by Haynes.

Regards, John L.

Further to my last message, I have photographed two tsuba in my collection, both inscribed Hirotoshi in the same kanji as on the author’s fuchi –gashira. These are completely different in their tecnique and in the details of their mei.

The first of these, labelled Hirotoshi 1, is a very skilful and sophisticated, high relief depiction in shakudo on an iron background, of Shosan bearing a bundle of brushwood. I am sure that this is by the Uchikoshi artist listed by Haynes as H 01416.0.

The second of these, labelled Hirotoshi 2, is much cruder work depicting, in iron, a thatched cottage seen through the branches of a tree. The signature differs from that on the former tsuba but may, perhaps, be by the same artist as the maker of the author’s pair of fuchi-gashira.

Whether or not this is so, there were certainly two (or more) artists using these kanji in their mei.

Regards, John L.

post-64-14196740923022_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196740925085_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196740927383_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196740928161_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196740977417_thumb.jpg

Hi John, do you have a special technique for tosogu oshigata or is it much the same as the sword technique ?. I notice both seem to have a fold down the middle of them.

The feathering around the edges makes for a very nice but natural variation of the top of a nakago oshigata.

Regards

Richard Turner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..