Mumei Katana In Shirasaya Nthk 70 Point Attribution To Taira Takada Masamori Of Bungo Late Muromachi

bigjohnshea

Available here is a katana in shirasaya which recently passed NTHK Shinsa with 70 points and an attribution to Taira Takada Masamori of Bungo, Late Muromachi, Eisho 1504.  The date on the pending kanteisho origami may be changed but will still be late Muromachi.  More about this below.

Description:  Please see the photos

Mumei

Shinogu zukuri

Ubu

Machi-okure

Nagasa: 2 shaku, 1 sun, 2 bu (25.29")

Yasurime: Katte sugari

Mune: Iori

Hada: Itame

Hamon: Gunome choji

Boshi: Midare komi

Old shirasaya is split and needs to be reglued.  Functional as it is with plastic wrapped around it in three spots.

The nakago at one point developed some rust damage, which may be the reason it is mumei, and likely is the reason is it machi-okure.

The blade is in good old polish with a few areas of blemish where the previous owner had "carefully" removed rust spots on his own. These do not detract much from appreciation and should be able to be cleared up with shiage alone if the new owner so wishes.

Price: $1800 negotiable. Paypal preferred.  Free Priority shipping in the US.  International will be extra via First Class USPS.  Please contact me at bigjohnshea@yahoo.com for a qoute.  This is a very good price for a blade like this.  You would struggle to find even a wakizashi with NTHK papers in good polish for this price let alone a katana.  I figure with the cracked saya, the few blemishes, and my desire for a quick sale this is an easy starting point.

Photos: Below is a link to a folder in my dropbox account with a whole host of photos for this blade.  Please ask for additional photos if you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cxb17mvl3ey0t0/AAAyfqzNNeYVTkctOvPtbCjza?dl=0

The shinsa worksheet states Eisho 1504, but after some discussion here on NMB it is unclear if that will be the actual date appearing on the Kanteisho.  The final origami may likely represent either Tenbun or Genki as those are the two late Muromachi periods wherein a smith of this name is known to have worked.  If you care to read the thread discussing this, here is the link for your use.  It does contain numerous unrelated points of discussion though.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/16658-nthk-april-2015-shinsa-results-blades-and-fittings/

Once the payment is complete I will contact the handler who is arranging the origami to have it sent to the address of the new buyer.  You will ofcourse receive the shinsa worksheet i have currently, along with the sword bag which was provided to me by the previous owner.

Please send offers or interest to bigjohnshea@yahoo.com

Thank you for your looking!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Edit, for above.  

It appears that there is the possibility that the attribution of the smith's name my change instead of/in place of the date.  There is not reason though to think it won't remain late Muromachi though.

Either way I feel I have listed this at a very cheap price for a 70 point blade that can be appreciated very well in its current condition.  I hope the date and name issue will not hinder people very much to make offers.  I am very much open to offers and am trying to make a fast sale of this for other reasons, so please do not be bashful.  

Many thanks for your time.  :-)

Have a great day!

Archived