Virgin Nakago?

I think the simple answer is that an ubu nakago without mekugi ana, is still an ubu nakago. It is unlikely an ubu nakago would ever have no ana, unless it was not finished. In that case, one would be drilled when it was mounted.

In this case of course, it is not an ubu nakago, merely a blade that has been shortened and the nakago has not yet been finished.

I don't think there would be a special term for something that has no practical use and is merely unfinished work.

Just my opinion of course.

Brian

It would surprise me to see a Japanese smith skip a step, namely to add a ana, especially if it is to give to a shrine as they never separated function from spiritual symbol, well, or so i am told.

Not saying it never happened, only that it sounds.. odd to me.

edit to add: just as odd as a real working car with all of the parts, but without the keyhole... ;)

Where is the Problem?

It was a sword with a forging flaw. It was shortened and a new nakago was shaped. So far a very normal procedure. The only thing that is missing now is the mekugi ana. This has to be drilled anyhow sooner or later. So in this case the polisher decided not to drill it now.

Doesn`t matter really because anyhow it was a low quality sword from a low quality smidth when I see the massive forging flaw.

Andreas