Netsuke

Stoney

No...show us your netsuke!

I have seen lots for sale, but never took the plunge on any of them because the Chinese modern fakes have become so prevalent I wouldn't know a good one from a modern mass produced one.

Even the old "details on the feet" thing isn't too valid anymore.

Someone...educate us.

Brian

(been damned for worse :) )

• Like 1

Swords are a big enough minefield for one lifetime; welcome to another!  :bang:

In my own experience out in the world marketplace there are three types of Netsuke. 1. Obvious fakes, 2. not-so-obvious fakes and 3. the genuine article. 

Obvious fakes make up around 20%, not-so-obvious fakes, 75%, and the genuine article about 5%.

If however you spend time in Netsuke books, a few select auction houses, private collections and concentrated London shops you can change these percentages radically.

There is a site, in Japanese, where the site owner makes a stab at showing the genuine article alongside fakes, and attempts to show some differences.

5th 口 tick/check box down, 'The Fakes'.

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~mystudy/kikite/kikitetop.htm

• 7 months later...

Hi Guido

I love the rats (especially the very dark one in the first post. I am assuming it is wood but I don't remember seeing anything that dark before can you tell me anything about it? I have been looking for something similar for a long time but have not come across any here at the major auction houses (certainly not of such quality)

cheers

Paul

Steven, a sweet lacquer Hyotan. Personally I like gourds, but no-one has shown much interest in the ones I have posted elsewhere! Not popular in the West?

(Having invited Chad to go and get shot at over on the INS site, Guido said "Don't bother", without giving a reason. This could potentially make me look stupid in front of all. Not a problem as I am fairly stupid. My advice would be to avoid the politics and group dynamics there, and like Rudyard Kipling's cat, walk your own path at all times.)

• Like 1

Thanks to all for sharing.

I first saw netsuke in a New Orleans shop back in the seventies and was amazed at the details carved on such small representations.  Now that I think back, perhaps none were of great quality but still fascinating to me at the time.

I like the cinnabar gourd, maybe not my favorite, but I like them all.  

Go ahead Piers show us your collection. I am interested in seeing them.

John, I appreciate your sharing. My only complaint is that the photo is so small I can barely see them.

Guido, those you shared are nice. I like them all, but think my favorites are the Monkey's, Tigers, Ox and Boar in that order.

I have very few myself, but have never photographed them.  I am certain some are fakes, but I have 3-4 that I think are legit (?).  If I can find time in the next few days, I will try to photograph them and get your opinions.

Looked through some files and found photos of two of my Netsuke.  Both Shishi, the first standing on fore legs with hornbill & red coral eyes was described to me as a contemporary piece by Kinsui. The second, no information on this one.

post-10-0-09421800-1447125661_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-57622300-1447125721_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-04958900-1447126055_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

post-3432-0-26694400-1447142898_thumb.pngAnd just for fairness sake as we are being indulged.  I think we should do a tie in (artistic medium wise) that relates back to some of the main subjects of this site.....But, not directly.  So, since I really like the ebony(?) rat........How about a Japanese bronze scroll weight.

-StevenK

post-3432-0-13834600-1447142953_thumb.png

I have no idea how to tell if a Netsuke was made 100 years ago or yesterday in Beijing. And I don't have 10 years (or the braincells) to learn about them.

So I guess I just stay far away from them. This is what newcommers feel about Nihonto I guess. Way out of my depth. I guess you don't get a real (old) one for under a good couple of hundred $'s either....so sounds to me like a minefield.

I am assuming it is wood but I don't remember seeing anything that dark before can you tell me anything about it?

It's made of kurogaki (black persimmon); although not a common material, it's also not exceptionally rare. It was - besides boar tusks - the favorite material of the Iwami carvers.

• Like 1

Having invited Chad to go and get shot at over on the INS site, Guido said "Don't bother", without giving a reason. This could potentially make me look stupid in front of all.

Only potentially, Piers :laughing: . But joking aside, if someone is into paying $ 250.- a night at conventions and $ 500.- just to get into the door, and discussions with people who actually take pride in knowing sh*t about Japanese art, history, culture and language - yes, then it might be of interest. You know why I left. The noise to signal ratio is simply too much for me.

Guido, how the heck can you tell that from that little picture? John

Probably because I'm a genius. That, and collecting netsuke for even a longer time than swords and fittings. ;-)

Actually I thought you pulled that pic off the net, I didn't realize that those are your items. Sorry, I would have refrained from commenting.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..