#1 Johnny Barracuda

Johnny Barracuda

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

I noticed this rare sword on eBay. It was issued to high ranking Chosen (Korea) colonial administration officials, bearing the administrative title of sonnin kan, that is the civilian equivalent to Army superior officiers (major to colonel rank).

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/301575485134

It is an interesting sword for the Imperial Japan militaria collector. Like all colonial swords, it looks like a Navy 1883 type dress sword, with the main difference being the side insigns on the backstrap. It bears the 5-7-5 kiri emblem, which was used (among other functions) as a symbol of the Chosen (Korea) colony after the annexation of Korea by Japan.

An interesting feature of this kind of sword is the similiarity between the floral motif on the guard and the one on the 1890 type sword for IJA Navy.

It is also interesting because it is held together by a menuki, whic is rare for this kind of sword. Therefore, it can be taken apart.

The seller is pretending that the blade was hand-forged, which I sincerely doubt since the hamon looks acid-etched.

Anyway, it is a very good piece and the seller obviously does not know what he is selling.

Cheers.

Thibault

Cheers,

Thibault

#2 Kai-Gunto

Kai-Gunto

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationScandinavia.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Its a nickel plated blade ,like the parade swords.
Thomas
Collect IJN/SNLF swords, dirks, headgear and Nihon-to.

"JUST AS THE CHERRY BLOSSOM FADES AND FALLS TO THE GROUND, SO IT IS WITH MY USEFUL LIFE. SHOULD IT PROVE TO BE OF USE TO MY EMPEROR I WOULD NOT FAIL TO FALL"

#3 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Nakago doesn't look like a typical mass produced one?

Also has signs of having been polished at some point and has yasurime. Sure it isn't an etched but real hamon? Not saying it is, but doesn't look plated to me.

Brian

- Admin -

#4 1tallsword

1tallsword

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

hmmm, maybe just my eyes playing tricks or camera flash but what am I seeing in picture #4 at the Yakigashira.. nie crystals? koshi?

Jeremy Scott.

#5 Johnny Barracuda

Johnny Barracuda

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

Nakago doesn't look like a typical mass produced one?

Also has signs of having been polished at some point and has yasurime. Sure it isn't an etched but real hamon? Not saying it is, but doesn't look plated to me.

Brian

I would consider it as an upper-end arsenal blade. Not mass-produced, but I do not think it was completely traditionally made. However, I am quite certain that it was not chrome or nickel-plated.

The hamon looks a lot like the one on one of my kyu gunto, which was acid-etched.

Those swords were for high ranking civil servants, so a real combat blade like on a Navy kyu gunto (either machine or traditionally made) would not be expected.

Anyway, it is a very rare sword in great shape and therefore a rather interesting piece for a militaria collection.

Cheers,

Thibault

#6 1tallsword

1tallsword

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

thanks for clearing that up,cheers.

Jeremy Scott.

#7 Hamfish

Hamfish

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:44 AM

it finished at just over 6K USD, which is good for the owner hahahaha he prob fell of his seat at the end

• Johnny Barracuda likes this
Hamfish

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebay, gunto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq