Traditionaly made modern tsuba

remzy

Greetings everyone, i was wondering if there is an english website out there to buy traditionaly made modern tsubas, i must emphasis on the traditionaly made* part here...

*This would mean without chemical additive such as chemical patina etc. but this could still be acceptable, what i want to avoid is cast reproductions.

I do not believe there are any English websites.

I went to the two Japanese websites I knew that offered tsuba made by modern smiths. With the better smiths, prices have been escalating in the past few years. It seems now that almost all the tsubas have sold. There are only 2 or 3 left out there.

Image attached is of my Issei Naruki. Obviously, I like his work. It is a great display piece.

Curran

post-51-14196740681054_thumb.jpg

Try my friend, Patrick Hastings at Tagane Arts (link below). He makes Tsuba and fittings in a tradititonal manner. He does use chemicals for patination, but so does everyone else including the Japanese (horse piss and daikon is a chemical solution).

He does really nice work and can do custom orders. He will get back to you, though he may be slow to answer as he and his wife just had a new baby.

Tell him I sent you.

http://www.taganearts.com/Fittings/FittingsideMenu.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..