I've read on two Japanese dealer's websites that this year's DTI will be held on November 20, 21 & 22 – almost a month later than usual. I've also heard that there will be a NBTHK taikai in November (but nothing says so on their website). Can anyone confirm?

And P.S. (to Brian): Why does the topic say "Dti" when I typed "DTI" (I even edited it since I thought I made a mistake)?

P.P.S.: Ah, when I put spaces between the letters I'm able to use all caps - auto correct?

That's the dates I have down for it in the calendar too. Will correct it if anything changes.

Guido, it's an automated little function designed to prevent shouting and all caps. I guess that is one of the downsides, but I'd rather live with the autocorrect than have people typing entire posts in caps :)

Brian

....Quite a mistake if you ask me as many US collectors will have a rough time getting away the weekend before Thanksgiving. Hadn't heard about a taikai. 

I haven't been to the DTI for a long time but the last few times I went the number of US attendees was a pretty small percentage of the total. Unless things have changed greatly, I'm not sure it would make much difference in the grand scheme but regardless it is an unfortunate date for those in the US...

I am sure on the overall percentages it is low but I can say that for the last few years the number has been rising. Also with the exchange rate like it was last year there is quite a bit of money getting exchanged from those visitors. I just don't really understand moving it a full month later regardless. 

No doubt the exchange rate is more favorable for dollar holders than it has been in a long time....It is rather odd to change the dates the way they apparently have. I would think there must be a good reason...Perhaps they want to coordinate with a NBTHK Taikai, if that rumor is true...

What I heard at the Tampa show was that the move was due to weather problems, as in too many storms/typhoons in recent years.  A holiday in one country probably didn't occur to them.  If you make it later then you're into Christmas season and earlier you're back into typhoon season.  Catch 22.

The 2014 D-T-I Greetings noted, "Recently, the even has had a growing number of foreign enthusiasts attending it."

A side conversation with a dealer had him exclaim it was the most (foreigners) he'd seen at a DTI.

The weather was very nice last year, with a cold snap a few days before. Moving it back even 1 week would have -> 0% the typhoon season.

Between a work related constraint on Nov 20 and Thanksgiving [travel=ugh], guess I won't make it.

Had enough fun last year, that was seriously considering it.

Maybe 2017 then.

Between an impending USA Central Bank move and Abe's plan, yen will probably go to 125 to 130 in later 2016 year.

After that [2017], don't know. Election years usually aren't good for the US$.

Guido, it's an automated little function designed to prevent shouting and all caps. I guess that is one of the downsides, but I'd rather live with the autocorrect than have people typing entire posts in caps :)

AH, O.K., MAKES PERFECT SENSE: ALL CAPS TOPICS ARE MUCH MORE ANNOYING THAN ALL CAPS POSTS!

• Like 4

You are 100% correct. I just checked the software settings, and I can stop "shouting" in topic titles, but no setting to do it within the topic itself.

I guess we could take it up with the software developers, or live with it as is? :)

Brian

I actually thought caps were quite OK for new subjects - they are a form of heading after all and they stand out and by default I understand that as such they do not "shout".  Rather, they herald a new subject.  Could I have been so wrong?????

BaZZa.

Calm down Guido....I had specifically removed that word from the filter for that exact reason. It is set that s**t on it's own is filtered, but in combination with any word like shitodome, it is not censored.

Thought I was very clever doing that. But when you bolded the first 4 letters, obviously it tricked the software into thinking the word was stand-alone.

Once I removed the bolding...you can see it isn't censored anymore.

You should be able to type any word like Mashita, Shitahachi, shitodome etc etc with no problem. We are not a nanny forum....have a minimum of procedures in place I think.

Brian

The dates are correct. 

It was moved because they could not get the building for the dates that they traditionally take, this is what was told to me.

Foreigners are increasing... both there and in San Francisco, I noticed a lot of familiar faces, and a lot that I didn't know from outside of Japan. I noticed in San Fran a Chinese guy who brought his own interpreter and I am getting inquiries out of China too, and Thailand (reliable ones, not like Indonesia heh... those guys never give up). Of course Russians now in both places too that I have not seen before. I have run into one Russian guy in several places. 

The new dates do suck. Old dates were good, weather was still nice, you got to see Hallowe'en, could have a beer outside still, and now it's just going to be that much colder and a bit more crap. I am sure it will change some plans for people. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I will assist this year at the DTI.On their website they writte "free appraisals of blades, fittings and armor, are daily offert, in the afternoon only". Did anyone know how ict work? Did we have to send the item before (in my case a tsuba), or just bring it to them?

Thanks very much for your help.

Christophe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..