Cannon Or Rifle?

Dear All

This "cannon" is at a gun show that I am set up at.  It is iron carved to look like bamboo.

It has gold inlay and some gold kanji/mon??

Owner says it is mounted on a Chinese base to which he added a wood base on the bottom.

Bought in Chicago area about 30 years ago for a reported $5,000.

It has three retaining pins.  No signature on the underneath side of the barrel.

Any idea's what it is and what it might be worth today?

Any help would be great.

later

david mcdonald

post-1157-0-62965700-1425085966_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-89418800-1425086012_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-53481500-1425086041_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-81305900-1425086073_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-69085100-1425086113_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-59158900-1425086153_thumb.jpg

David,

Interesting banger,but I am suspicious. The "stock" looks like it was made of a stack of 4x4 with Chinese coins inset. Doesn't look like a 5K item to me.

Peter

Dear Peter

The "stock" - blocks are dark brown lacquered wood. And does have some age to it, maybe 100-200 years.  So looks like the barrel was place on the

chinese stock?????

later

david

Is the ignition method just a hole and pan? What is the caliber?

I don't think this is a working cannon...and the metal doesn't look like iron to me? Looks more like a decorative item to me, not meant to be fired. I would think the value would be under $2K imho, but then I am just guessing. Caliber looks too small to be a cannon. Sights look added later. If it does have 3 pins to attach it, then it was likely made to be fitted in a stock. But maybe a late Meiji decorative piece that was adapted? The inlay work looks like late work. Interesting anyways...

It's a pity, as I would love to have heard Ron's thoughts on this one.

Brian

• Like 1

Is the ignition method just a hole and pan? What is the caliber?

I don't think this is a working cannon...and the metal doesn't look like iron to me? Looks more like a decorative item to me, not meant to be fired. I would think the value would be under $2K imho, but then I am just guessing. Caliber looks too small to be a cannon. Sights look added later. If it does have 3 pins to attach it, then it was likely made to be fitted in a stock. But maybe a late Meiji decorative piece that was adapted? The inlay work looks like late work. Interesting anyways...

It's a pity, as I would love to have heard Ron's thoughts on this one.

Brian

Dear Brian

The ignition method is just a hole in the pan.

The caliber -- I measured the diameter as 12 mm or just under 1/2 inch.

The owner says it is a Hiya-zutsu ( a fire arrow gun)??? Does this sound right?

thanks for any help

later

david

Are we assuming that this is Japanese?  What happens at the breach end of the barrel and what features suggest that this is of Japanese manufacture?

Personally I would like to be the guy that sold this 30 years ago for 5K.  Or am I missing something here?

All the best

I do think it is Japanese. The 3 pins method of attaching it to the "stock" is distinctly Japanese I assume. The inlay is Eastern, and probably not Chinese. I'd be interested in knowing if it is magnetic.

The cup part does strongly remind of something to do with smoking. Very unlikely to be a pan for firing it.

Brian

We may be spending too much time on this item whihc is looking less and less like a Japanese weapon.I think Thomas is right. The "pan" does seem very similar to the fixtures on Chinese opium pipes that were made to accept the removable fired-clay bowls which were loaded with the dope. My advice to David is, if you do buy it,  DON'T carry this thing by a drug sniffing dog!

Peter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..