how its made: Mekugi-ana?

This might sound like a silly question to some but i couldnt find any information regarding this, how did they traditionaly made mekugi-ana in the nakago?

There is zero info about this in pretty much all of the books that i have red and this kind of tickle me curiosity!

Thanks

Remy

Hi Remy.

Punched seems a less "refined" circle and the middle of the inner

section many times is another hint to watch at.

Drilled usually is closer to a perfect circle and the inner part is different.

Hard to explain with my english.

Even if I'm sure that water-propelled tools were used in Edo period and

possibly before, I'm not sure a steel-drilling machine existed, so I'm for the drilling by hands, but I can be wrong.

If you have "Cutting Edge" then there is a bit in there about it.

Basically they start the holes on either side, using special awls and chisels. They usually don't meet perfectly in the middle, so punched holes will not be perfectly round, and may have a ridge in the middle. They can be slightly oval or even square occasionally. (I have pics of a square ana I want to post about sometime)

Not too difficult to spot once you see a few.

The irregularity helps the mekugi to hold tighter apparently, although this was not the primary reason I am sure.

Brian

Edit to add: the mekugi ana seems a breeze to do when you consider some of the fine sukashi cutouts on early tsuba :shock:

I would love to know how they did those. Did they have fine saw blades, or use horsehair coated in abrasive materials like I have heard (but doubt)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..