Unsure what to do....

Hello Board,

as already said in another thread I am thinking to get a new koshirae done for my Kanenaga Sword.

So now it gets philosophic....

The sword was produced in showa era. So the sword was produced to get gunto mounts. Now war is over, the sword survived and is in a nice condition.

I love to have a tarditional buke zukiri koshirae. But isn`t that simply wrong?

I mean, the sword wasn`t ever "designed" to get civilian mounts.

A gunto koshirae on the other hand is not so nice to look at but its genuine!

Now price comes in the game as well. I got the offer today for the complete set (koshirae, restauration of tsuba, tsuba fitting with copper for nakago, restauaration of fushi, kashira, menuki and kurikata) saya done in black artificial urushi (15 layers), new same, new tsuka incl. wrap in jabara maki style

Total: $ 2.500,--! Outsch!

So the sword was $2.495,-- this would add the same value on the sword for the koshirae but i doubt that this is realstic and in case I will sell the sword some day, get back?

A gunto koshirae in good condition I can get easily for $250,--

plus new saya for the ssword and maybe new tsuka will be maximum $600,--

So what would you do?

The fittings I have choosen can be seen here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nihontomessa ... php?t=1857

Andreas,

That is a difficult question. Personally, I feel that maybe a WW2 Gendiato wasn't originally intended for a full professional polish (maybe just a wartime one) but to better appreciate it, we sometimes have it done. Maybe the sword was just pre-war, and wasn't going to go into Gunto fittings. There is no real way to know, so I think it is up to us to decide how we will best appreciate the sword. If you want to put it into older fittings (and it will not affect the blade at all) than i would go for it. What about a Koto that went to war? the Gunto fittings are part of its history. But so are old fittings. So we have to decide how we prefer to appreciate and preserve it.

So your call as far as I am concerned.

No, I don't think the sum of the parts will be what it is worth afterwards, but this game is seldom about money alone.

You seem to indicate you have already purchased that koshirae (which I like) so I would consider spending the extra and having the work done. Otherwise what will you do with the koshirae you already own? :)

Of course I really don't mind Gunto fittings either, and am not often tempted to put WW2 swords back into old fittings, so I don't think you will make a mistake whatever you decide. As we all know, we hardly ever see the original fittings the sword came with, so this is like saying that Edo fittings on a Koto are anachronistic? No wrong choice here IMHO.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

thx for the reply. No, I didn`t buy the koshirae! I have to decide which way I will go. The sword itself is a really nice one and kanenaga must have had a nice week when he hammered it :D

I can get the set of Kodugo and tsuba for $ 600,-- without the rest. So even I decide not to do the tsuka and saya, I will have a nice set of kodogu....

It`simple that the gunto mount looks not so nice in a living room..... stupid maybe...

post-377-14196739985059_thumb.jpg

Andreas,

the simple truth is you are arguing against the Gunto mounts in your head, and defending the older koshirae...so that is what you really want to do in your subconscious.

So go with your gut feel :)

Anyone will tell you the money you spend now will be less noticeable down the line. We all overspend sometimes..but a year or 2 from now, it will be really insignificant. :)

Brian

Andreas,

It is evident to me as well that you do not want to put it into Gunto mounts.

Yet it sounds as though you are trying to justify the Gunto mounts to offset the cost of a koshirae.

There have been many older swords placed into gunto mounts and many gendaito placed into more traditional mounts. Over the years many gendai have been remounted for Iai.

Maybe you should either slow down and save your money for the koshirae.

Or consider a more cost effective way.

I question some of the cost of your restoration.

restauration of tsuba, tsuba fitting with copper for nakago, restauaration of fushi, kashira, menuki and kurikata

Buy fittings which need no restoration, I have remounted several swords and never had to restore menuki, f/k, tsuba.

If the tsuba you choose doesn't fit well replace the sekigane yourself. it is easy on iron tsuba, copper is soft and works easily, it is attached with jewelers solder. Simple.

Use horn for the kojiri, koiguchi and kurigata.

The most difficult parts are making the saya and tsuka.

Think about have the saya made and finish it yourself.

If not you can have one made with cashew lacquer and horn fittings, in basic black for approx. $450

A new tsuka core with new same and new wrap (using your fittings) should run you approx., $350 - $400.

The rest depends on how much you spend on fittings.

Bottom line, mount it in whatever style makes you happy.

Both of you got me........ :thumbsup:

OK,

I will have some months without beer, chips, cinema, fun, discotheque and hanging around from now :freak:

and maybe my wife will say :crazy: :rant:

But I am happy that there seems to be no rule for my prob.......

A wise man said "You have to judge every sword by it`s own merits"

Seems to be true

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..