Has Anyone Used Fred Lohman?

tharris

• 9 years later...

Dragging this one up as I don't want to start a new thread when I have the same question! I've been thinking about using Mr Lohman to help me with a new saya and fittings, handle, wrapping etc. I'd be supplying early Edo pieces in keeping with the age of the blade so Tsuba, Menuki, etc.

Does anyone have any experience of this provider that they can share? Hopefully positive? Thanks.

Joel

Ah, thanks Stephen / Jason, wasn't thinking about getting him to polish. Just to create a good quality Tsuka and Saya that I provide the Tsuba, Menuki and Fuchi Kashira for (only because I'd rather mix and match my own from genuine antiques to give my sword my touch if you see what I mean). Thanks.

For one. Fred is old. 9 years older than when this post first was opened. It's his son that does most the work that is done in the shop. I've never met his son. The rest he farms out overseas including polishing and other work.

I have been in his shop and have seen work in progress and I would wholeheartedly suggest you find someone else.

• Like 2

For one. Fred is old. 9 years older than when this post first was opened. It's his son that does most the work that is done in the shop. I've never met his son. The rest he farms out overseas including polishing and other work.

I have been in his shop and have seen work in progress and I would wholeheartedly suggest you find someone else.

Thank you for this insight Brian, could you or anyone else make a recommendation as to who could create Koshirae for me? Thanks.

Look, let's be fair to the guy. He doesn't push himself as an antique Japanese sword restoration service from A to Z.

Clearly, from his website, you can see he specializes in repro fittings and putting together iaito and non-antique swords. For that, I am sure they offer a decent service. But you are not going there if you want to complete your Koto with genuine fittings and a full polish. They sell supplies...modern supplies.

Go there if you want an Iaito kitted out. Or a Chen blade refitted. Maybe if you want a Showato polished to an iai polish.

I've never met the guy or spoken to him, but everyone needs to know what their chosen craftsman specializes in, and know that you get what you pay for.

• Like 3

What Brian said. I know Fred for many years, meeting him the first time coincidentally at a traditional craft supplies store while living in Japan. He also buys - and has items manufactured - in the Philippines.

Until a few years ago, I would have recommended him even for lacquer work and tsukamaki for antique swords, he contracted those services with a gentleman I also did business with, and who put many Japanese craftsmen to shame with his superior restoration work. Unfortunately that artist kind of vanished into thin air, and I don't know who's working for Fred now. In any case, as Brian also said, you get what you pay for from Fred.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..