Saya length vs blade length

Drago

Hi,

I have two swords - a katana and a wakizashi. On both I noticed, the saya is quite a bit longer than the blade - somewhere around 10cm. Is there a particular reason for this? Is this to be able to strike with the saya tip?

On European swords, the sheath is just so much longer than the blade to cover the tip - but the sheath isn't used for fighting...

Thanks!

I believe this to be something along the lines of bing able to draw the sword quicker than your opponent would think possible given the length of the saya. There's probably other reasons as well and I look forward to being corrected if this is not the case.

. Ive seen many several inches or so longer.this is my take on it. in short to protect the tip, space in the tip will also catch unwanted oil drips and wood particles ect.. this might be supported by the fact before you reshealth the sword you tap the saya upside down to remove any loose particles ect... also i believe its for aesthetic and balance reasons.....

Is this a matched set? if not, for the Wakizashi anyway, I would suspect merchant mounts. The lower class were not permitted to carry Katana but a merchant or other wealthy enough individual, who was not of the Samurai cast, may have taken their legal to own short sword and had it mounted to look like a long sword.

As for the other suggestion of a deceptive draw, Yes. I know 1st hand that this is a practice employed in BikenJitsu.

Best Regards,

Kurt K

I have one buke zukuri mounted sword in which the saya is about four inches longer than it needs be. Given the plain horn kashira, plain black lacquer saya, upper end fuchi, menuki and tsuba as well as the quite thin and light unokobi zukuri blade, and I think it's a decent bet it could have been a court sword. Lead your compatriots to think you sport an impressively big blade, there's no chance you will need to draw it out to show proof! Carry around a feather instead of an anchor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..