San Francisco Token Kai

The 2007 San Francisco Token Kai, put on by the NCJSC was as expected, a show to be remembered. Most of the US dealers were in attendance along with several of the Japanese dealers including Seikeido, AOI-Art, Bunsai, and Taikeido. Hundreds of collectors and part time dealers were there as well. The floor was active throughout the show, with buying and selling from start to finish. There was most any type sword available, from budget level to exquisite Juyo quality. There were fittings, books, netsuke, cloisonné, pottery, scrolls, woodblocks. And when things slowed down, my buddy Al had a large bottle of Makers Mark under the Table. Truly a great show.

The NBTHK /AB presented a display of Tanto which were incredible. Mr. Benson gave a very educational lecture on the history of Tanto as well as an individual description and history of each featured Tanto. There were almost twenty tanto available for viewing. They included such smiths as Awataguchi Kuniyoshi, Soshu Yukimitsu, Yamato Kanetsugu, Soshu Hiromasa, Yamashiro Nobuyoshi, Yasutsugu, Hisamichi, etc., etc. My two personal favorites were the Soshu Yukimitsu and the Yamashiro Nobuyoshi.

The NBTHK also presented an overwhelming display of "Machibori" sword fittings. Mr. Mike Yamasaki gave a wonderful lecture on the Machibori fittings.

Dr. Robson of the NTHK was kind enough to bring a great display of Mino swords and Ko-Mino fittings. The swords were Koto, Shinto examples. All were of exceptional quality as were the fittings.

These exhibits alone were worth the trip to this show. Anyone who seriously studies the Japanese sword should make whatever arraignments are necessary to attend. No where else outside of Japan will you see such a group of high quality swords.

Another reason to show your support and join the NBTHK/AB.

Met a couple of new guys from the NMB Bill M, and Bdgrange, both very nice guys. Spoke with a few others as well.

I took some photos but instead of trying to list them here and use up all of Brian's bandwidth, I posted the pics on my site and if interested you are welcome to following the link and have a look. Please excuse the low quality, out of focus photos. Trying to shoot macro close-ups hand held is not easy.

http://yakiba.com/sf_tokenkai_07.htm

Ed,

Thanks very much for the review and pics. Looks like a great show, and I am truly jealous :)

Is this considered the largest US show?

Hope all the people who attended had a successful show. Good to see some of the Japanese dealers attending.

Ah well..oneday I'll find the funds to attend and meet some of the members.

Brian

Hi guys,

Glad to know you enjoyed the pics.

You should all save your money and plan to come next year.

Brian, sorry I didn't realize you had asked a question.

SF and Florida are pretty close in size, with SF inching ahead maybe slightly.

BTW: The Florida Token Kai is in Febuary.

Regards,

Ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..