South Manchuria railway company presentation Tachi

Medina San1

No idea but I would suspect it would be even more desirable (not that it isn't already to a certain slice of collectors) if it was clear that the blade hadn't been previously drilled. I, personally, don't like to see gendaito with more than the original mekugi-ana and tend to avoid them in most cases.

It is really a rare and interesting item regardless and as said, no doubt quite valuable. Congrats!

• Like 1

Indeed a very good find. There are not many of these in complete and good condition. My understanding is that they were produced as gifts to employees that had reached 25(?) years of service, and as gifts to VIP's. I have seen two here in the US, of which one was missing some parts, and heard rumor of another complete one in the UK, but never confirmed. I have pictures of the complete one in my archive somewhere. I think I may have posted some images of it here way back when also.

Iirc, the complete example I saw also had two mekugi ana. I suspect because the blades were pulled out of the production line and then fitted to the tachi koshirae.

There is sometimes some very interesting memorabilia from the South Manchurian Railway Company available on ebay and Train Enthusiast sites.

Great info Ted, thanks for sharing. Sounds logical to me.

I guess there cannot be many of these left in Japan either, since I think they count as Showato? I bet there are koshirae around, with the swords having been destroyed. So in cases like this, it is up to us to preserve their history :)

I would definitely email the pics to Ohmura san, in case he wants to add the info to his site or maybe he can add some info.

Brian

Morita san,

I suspected there might be, and was going to check just after posting that..but you beat me to it :D

I guess the question is whether Dan owns this one now, or if it is just for sale somewhere out there...

Brian

It's not for sale at this time... let me take a closer look for any numbers, I don't remember seeing any since I took the photos right before going to bed... give me a few minutes to look and I'll let you know.

Dan

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..